The one that got away - Part 1 - Ed x Reader

Inspired in part by 'Fast Car' by Tracy Chapman.

Ed could hear Edward's voice in the back of his mind. Could see him pacing the room in front of him. His alter ego berating him once again for the same old things. For being weak. For being pathetic. For letting the only girl that had ever really loved them, get away. The same always happening when Edward became angry. When he felt as though Ed wasn't being strong enough. When he wanted to take over. Ed's mind once again wandering off as he did his best to drown out Edward. His thoughts going back to his younger self, and the girl that he had let drive away. Ed lamenting the life that he had denied himself.

The forensic scientist could remember the look on (Y/n)'s face as he had stood there with his bag in his hand. He could remember that fateful moment that he had decided not to get in her car and leave with her. He could remember that last glimpse, as he saw a tear roll down her cheek, before her car sped off into the distance. And he hated himself for it. He had always hated himself for making her cry.

Ed had met (Y/n) when she had arrived at Gotham High, halfway through the semester; new kids always caused a stir, but (Y/n) caused a bigger stir than anyone else. She was exceptionally beautiful and intelligent, but unlike many of the other girls, she never seemed to care about her looks. She preferred to read, spending most of her free time climbing trees with a book between her teeth, vanishing for hours into the leafy canopies; the sun glinting through the leaves and onto her face as she lost herself in another world.

He had always thought that (Y/n) looked like the kind of girl that should be the head cheerleader, the archetypal girlfriend of the quarterback. But much to his shock and amazement, she seemed to have been as drawn to him, as he was to her.

Ed couldn't recall how it had happened, but before he had known it, (Y/n) had become his friend and protector. And after people had found out that she was the daughter of some kind of war hero, and that dear old dad had taught her quite thing or two, as long as she was by his side, no one would dare mess with him. And even when she wasn't, the idea that (Y/n) would find out that someone had bullied him, instantly made the prospective bully think twice.

For once in his life Ed had really felt loved; (Y/n) had been his first real friend, his first real love, and his first kiss. He would spend as much time as he could at her house, desperate not to have to return to his home, where his mother would be waiting.

Compared to his homelife, (Y/n)'s was seemingly much more idyllic. Her mother was a sweet and kind larger lady with rosy cheeks; the kind of woman that you would see on ads for family meals, or the image of the perfect farmer's wife. The apple pie American mom from the 1950s. Her father was a tough man, and even though it was obvious that the ex-serviceman had a problem with the drink, he was still a good man, and would always tell Ed about his time overseas.

But (Y/n)'s life, and Ed's own, had changed the day her mother had left; her father's drinking had slowly gotten worse, finally getting to a point where her mother had packed what little she could, and left in the middle of the night; leaving her young daughter to pick up the pieces and try and care for her father.

Ed had been distraught when (Y/n) had left high school, and despite the fact he knew she had done it to look after a man that was slowly descending into the depths of alcoholism, it didn't make it any easier. She had taken a job at a local convenience store and used the money to maintain the house as best she could, but she had still managed to buy one thing for herself, a fast car.

"Is everything ok, (Y/n)?" Ed had asked, as the two sat on the bleachers, looking out onto the school's sports field.

"Eddy........I'm leaving." (Y/n) suddenly announced, as she turned to face him.

"I'm leaving Gotham, and I want you to come with me." She admitted, looking into his shocked eyes.

"B-b-but (Y/n) what would we do? We don't have any money or anywhere to go, why would we leave?" Ed asked, as (Y/n) stood up, clutching her head in pure frustration.

"We would leave because any place is better than this. Because we have nothing to lose Ed; and maybe, just maybe, you and I could get somewhere. I've been able to save a little bit of money, and it should keep us for a while. We can go anywhere Eddy, do anything. We can have a life, together; I can get away from my dad, and you can get away from your mom. She doesn't deserve you Ed, you are too good for her, too good for this place. For everyone here. I have to leave...... I want a life, and I want you to be in that life." (Y/n) explained, the tears flowing down her cheeks as she threw her arms around him, squeezing him tight.

Ed knew that (Y/n) was right, that they, that he, were meant for more than this. He knew that together they could achieve anything. That they could be more. That they could find a place that they could both fit in.

"Alright." Ed had said simply replied, as (Y/n) pulled away so that she could take his face in her hands and kissed him deeply.

The two had arranged to meet back at the sports field the next night. They would both get in her car and drive away, leaving the city and their parents behind; never looking back, always looking forward.

Ed could recall feeling nothing but joy and a feeling of liberation as he packed a few belongings into a bag, and as he did, he thought about the look of love that (Y/n) had given him when the two had parted the day before. And he knew that no matter what happened, at least now their lives would be their own.

Slowly and quietly, Ed had made his way for the door, taking one last look at his mother as she mindlessly watched TV; completely oblivious to the fact that he would now be leaving her.

As he waited for (Y/n), Ed couldn't help but think about his mother, about how he was the man of the house. About how she needed someone to look after her; it was then he began to feel guilty. His mind changing in that moment. The joy leaving him in an instance.

Suddenly a car came roaring towards him, stopping only feet from his legs, before (Y/n) jumped out of the driver's seat and ran into his arms.

"Oh Eddy, thank god you're here...... I was worried that you wouldn't turn up." (Y/n) said, pulling away from his arms, the bright smile leaving her lips when she saw his face. When she saw the look in his eyes.

"You're not coming with me, are you?" (Y/n) had asked, watching as he lowered his gaze, Ed not feeling brave enough to look into her hurt eyes.

"It's ok Eddy, deep down I knew that you couldn't leave your mom; but as much as I don't want to leave you, as much as I love you, I can't stay here; even if this is the worst decision of my life, I have to take a chance." She had told him with a heavy sigh, pulling him back into her arms and holding him tight.

"Well Edward............this is goodbye." (Y/n) hummed softly, as she finally took his face in her hand and kissed him.

"That kiss was for what could have been." She told him, before kissing him again.

"That one was for what would have been." She explained, before kissing him one last time.

"And that one...........that one was for what should have been." She had added, a small sad smile gracing her lips, as she took one last long look in his eyes.

"Don't ever forget me Eddy, because I will never forget you." She assured, fighting back the tears as Ed reluctantly let her go. The young man watching as she had climbed into the car, her head moving out through the passenger side window, a single perfect tear drop falling down her cheek.

"I love you, Eddy." Was the last thing she had said, before the car burst into life, and had sped off into the distance. The walk home, the longest that he had ever known. His heart and spirit broken, and he knew then that he had thrown away the only opportunity he would ever have, to have a normal and happy life. Ed slowly getting to his feet and making his way out of the room, hoping that Edward wouldn't follow after him. A single, perfect tear rolling down his cheek, as he made his way to the bedroom. Hoping beyond hope that when he closed his eyes, he would dream about the one that got away.