A different kind of Christmas - Part 2 - Oswald x Reader

(Y/n) groaned, as a knock came to her door. Slowly getting to her feet before placing her third cup of coffee for that morning on the table in front of her. The female detective always blaming Harvey for her increased addiction to caffeine, given that any time she went on a job with the Irishman and Jim, they would always have to get coffee on the way back to the precinct. Or whenever they went anywhere.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming. Your mother never tell you that patients was a virtue?!" (Y/n) called out, as she made her way over and looked through the little peephole. Rolling her eyes, as she spied a suit wearing goon of one Oswald Cobblepot.

When she had left the precinct the day before, Harvey had indeed taken her home. A broad smile pulling at his lips, as (Y/n) had relented and decided to give him his gift. Not she wasn't, but the idea of giving him a lump of coal for Christmas had been rather tempting, especially as he had laughed when she had explained why the captain had wanted her brought into the precinct. Why Oswald had been asking for her in particular. Harvey laughing after she had punched him in the arm for suggesting that if their new mayor wanted a date for his party, there easier ways to go about it. His mirth only growing as she had told him that it was nothing like a date and that she would be at the function on a purely professional capacity. Harvey rolling his eyes and saying that the only person that she was kidding was herself, and that Oswald had an ulterior motive. The Irishman finishing with that he had always thought that Penguin had had the hots for her.

"What?!" (Y/n) enquired harshly, as she finally opened the door and glared at the man. The goon looking over the top of his dark glasses at the detective, before producing a rather large, fancy looking box and pushing it into her hands.

"This is from Mister Cobblepot. Its for you to wear tonight." The man explained. His brows furrowing as (Y/n) handed it back to him.

"You can tell Mister Cobblepot that I am perfectly capable of dressing myself. I don't need his help......................"

"He insists.................." The man interrupted. Pushing the box back into her arms before turning to leave.

"There will be car to pick you up at seven. Make sure that ya ready." The goon continued, not giving (Y/n) a chance to say anything before he made his way back down towards the waiting car.

"I am getting really sick of Oswald insisting. He's just lucky its Christmas and I am in a good mood." Huffed to herself as she closed the door. Taking the large box into the living room and dropping it onto the sofa. Looking at it for a moment, before pulling on the golden ribbon. The silken length of the material being dropped to the floor. Part of her wanted to just ignore the box. To not open it and go to the party in the clothes that she had already decided on, not caring about what Oswald was insisting on. But the bigger part of her. The part that we obviously winning, wanted to see what lay under the deep burgundy lid. (Y/n) taking a breath, before opening the box. Her hands reaching in and taking out her attire for the evening. The detective draping the dress over the back of the seat, so that she could get a better look at it.

Okay, she had to admit that Oswald had good taste. The dress was beautiful. Perhaps a little revealing for someone that was supposed to be at the function to protect the mayor, but still...............

"Fine..............I'll wear it. But not because Oswald insists." (Y/n) again said to no one. Picking up the dress and taking it into the bedroom.

                                                            >>---------------------------------<<

(Y/n) looked herself up and down. She had to admit, of course in her own opinion anyway, that she thought she looked quite good. The dress fit her as though it had been made just for her. Making her wonder just how much notice Oswald had been taking of her over the years. But given that the gown had a rather high slit up the side and a plunging neckline, it seemed obvious that the new mayor might just be trying to notice a lot more. The female detective finding herself having to wonder whether Harvey had been right, and Oswald might just have an ulterior motive.

A loud bang at her front door knocked the thoughts from her mind. The detective giving herself one last look in the mirror, before grabbing her bag and making her way over to the ingress. (Y/n) rolling her eyes, as she saw the latest goon looking at her, seemingly quite surprised by what he was seeing. The detective simply walking past him and making her way to the car.

                                                          >>-------------------------------<<

Oswald looked at himself in the mirror and straightening his tie. He wanted to look perfect. Not just because he was the mayor now, but because tonight (Y/n) would be by his side. He had known the female detective for some time now. Having first met her when he started working for Fish. And despite the differences between them, there had developed a kind of friendship. An understanding and mutual respect. Oswald always finding her bluntness, her take no crap attitude, quite refreshing. And over time, he had come to find himself liking (Y/n) more and more. So much so, that now it had got to the point where he found himself wanting something more than a friendship.

Admittedly, in the past he had tried to say something to (Y/n). Tried to express his feelings, yet when it had come down to it, he had found himself frustratingly unable to find the words. That nagging little voice in the back of his mind telling him that she would just laugh at him. That she would always only ever see him as the umbrella boy. But tonight, tonight would be different. Tonight, he was determined to say something.

"Mister Cobblepot.................." A voice suddenly came. Oswald turning to look at the man that had just entered the room.

"Detective (Y/l/n).................." He continued, before opening the door fully to reveal (Y/n). Oswald staring in disbelief, at the sight before him.