Play with fire - Part 3 - Victor x Reader

I know that I am a day or so early, but I hope that you are all able to enjoy and spend time with your loved ones during these holidays. So, Merry Christmas. Happy Hanukkah and a wonderful Kwanzaa to you all.

(Y/n) looked down at the open files on her desk. Her eyes jumping between the images of the fallen victims. In truth, she didn't need to look at them. She was more than familiar with them. After all, she had been there when they had passed. There to see the light leave their eyes. There to put that hole right in the middle of their foreheads. Yet she had to pretend. She had to make it look good. She had to make it appear that she was on the trail of the newest assassin in Gotham. Hot on the heels of herself.

It had taken her longer than she had hoped to put her plan into motion. Longer than she had hoped it would take to show Victor Zsasz who was the best. To put the assassin in his place. But this was never a short term thing. It was not something that was going to happen overnight. She was in it for the long haul. But now, now things were finally beginning to fall into place. And she couldn't be happier.

She and Victor had always wanted to be together, but at the same time had always been rivals. Even from a young age, the pair had constantly tried to outdo the other in whatever they did. Victors' grandmother forever telling them that they were two peas in a pod. That her grandson and the orphaned girl must have been separated at birth. And that despite their little game of one upmanship, the duo would always be stronger together than they were apart. That if they were to work with one another, they could take on the world. Yet in the end, that had meant nothing to the unfeeling and uncaring Victor. The bullet that he had put into her, telling (Y/n) that no matter what she had believed. No matter what Victor had told her. He had never cared. That their friendship, her love had never meant anything to him. The first tally mark on his arm the only thing to show that she had ever been in his life. Yet unbeknownst to Victor, his first victim had survived. Survived to plot her revenge. Survived long enough to show the feared Victor Zsasz, who actually was the best.

When she had finally left the hospital, (Y/n) had hidden away for a long time. She had reinvented herself. Giving herself a new name. Changing her appearance. She had joined the police academy. Done all she had to do to become a detective with the Gotham PD. To build up a reputation. A reputation that had ensured that she had been given her own case by an unsuspecting Bullock, Gordon and Essen. And now that she had, she would make Victor really suffer. Show Victor that if he was going to kill someone, he should make sure that they were dead.

"(Y/n)." A cheery voice came. The detective shaking the dark memories from her mind, as she looked up to see a smiling Ed. A small bullet in an evidence bag, gripped tightly in his hand.

"Good news." The forensic examiner continued.

"Well, not for Mister Stone, but for you. It would appear that as I expected, the bullet from the head of our latest victim does indeed match those of the other seven men. And that Mister Stone is the eighth victim of this so called "Bullseye." Ed announced triumphantly, as he handed the small projectile to (Y/n).

(Y/n) hadn't needed Ed's confirmation. She already knew that the bullets would match. It was after all, one of hers. But all this was part of the process. All just part of the show that she was now in charge of. All this done to bring down Zsasz. And when she had, the GCPD would find that one of their detectives would disappear. And Gotham would no longer have to concern itself with the assassin that they had given the moniker "Bullseye".

"Great work, Ed. Not that I doubted you for one moment. Though I am surprised that you got it all done so quickly. I thought that it would take you the rest of the day." (Y/n) replied, as she examined the bullet. A bullet that she herself was responsible for making.

"Erm.........(Y/n). I have been working on this for a little while." Ed told her. (Y/n) looking back up and realising that the sky outside the windows of the precinct had gone dark.

"Oh geez. I'm sorry Ed. I was so taken up by working through these files that I hadn't noticed that it was so late." (Y/n) chuckled, as she handed back the bagged bullet to Ed.

"Perhaps you should call it a day, (Y/n). I am sure that Mister Stone and the other victims won't mind. It isn't as if they are going anywhere." Ed said, as he smiled down at her.

"I weaken all men for hours each day. I show you strange visions while you are away. I take you by night, but by day take you back. And none suffer to have me but do from my lack. What am I?" Ed continued. (Y/n) shaking her head, as she slowly got to her feet and grabbed her coat.

"Sleep, Ed. Sleep. And I think that you might just be right. A good night's rest, and I'll be able to take on the worst that this city can throw at me." (Y/n) replied, as she threw her coat around her shoulders and headed for the stairs. Giving Ed and appreciative touch on the arm, before she left.

                                                     >>-----------------------------------<<

(Y/n) sat in the car. The heavy rain that was falling from the sky, making it difficult to see the road that was speeding past in front of her. Not that she was taking much notice anyway. The detective going into autopilot, as she made her way back to her small apartment. Her mind to filled with images of the past. Of what her next step might be. Of the time that she and Victor had spent together in their youth. Of how she would take Victor's next job right out from under his nose. How she had covered for him whenever he had done something wrong when they were children. How she would soon turn her attention to making the assassin really sweat. How he had been the first boy that she had kissed. And how she would now make the cold blooded sociopath look over his shoulder at every turn. To question his sanity. Would make him dread the thought of even stepping foot out into the streets of Gotham. For when all this was said and done, Victor would be her last victim, as she had been his first. And the only mark that would appear on her arm, would be placed there to prove that she was the best.