Chapter 16: Truth and Morality

Start from the beginning

"HOW COME I DON'T REMEMBER SUCH A THING? WOULDN'T WE- AH... TIME. WAIT..." Papyrus looked at Sans with confusion, "HOW CAN YOU REMEMBER THESE OCCURANCES?"

Sans shook his head, "I- I have no clue. It's serious though... Buttercup, you've never fallen down here before. It- Time isn't following the path it always has. That person never fell down this time. Instead, it was you Buttercup." 

You looked at Sans intently, "Why should we be worried? Nobody would fall down here on purpose, there's no need to be concerned."

"That's just it. They did come back, every time. On purpose. That, and even broke the barrier... by using the souls." Sans admitted.

"ODD. WHY WOULD THEY NOT FALL BACK DOWN THIS TIME?" Papyrus asked.

"Sans. I..." You started, gripping the cocoa tightly, "I was pushed into the underground... I remembered after tripping at Toriel's... do you think...?"

"...If that's the case, my assumption is that the human, Frisk-" Sans started, being cut off.

"Stop. Frisk?" You asked, a tension headache coming on, "That sounds familiar."

A striped sweater, blue and purple, flashed in your head.

That nightmare you had the other night.

Why does that memory come up when hearing that name?

"What? You know them?" Sans asked.

"I had a uh, nightmare recently. Caused my stomach to hurl, embarrassingly enough. There was a person and I in a diner, wearing a blue and purple sweater." You said, "I got ketchup on their sweater by accident. Something about it being old and... surprising that it still fits?"

Sans looked shocked, "Eh? That's.. exactly what they wear."

"So I do know Frisk... but I don't know if- I'm not sure who pushed me down. I can't say it was them but... something about them is unsettling in my mind." You admitted.

"We won't force you to bring any memories back up. One more thing though, equally important to what I've said already but... before Chara was human. She was an evil force in other timelines, awoken by Frisk's Determination. It must be because of their soul traits. If you come into contact with a Kindness soul, there's no telling what could happen." Sans rambled.

"THAT, AND WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF CHARA DOES HAVE THE ABILITY TO RESET TIME, OR STEP BACK AS YOU SAID? WOULDN'T THAT AFFECT YOU NEGATIVELY SANS? SINCE YOU CAN REMEMBER?" Papyrus said with concern, "HOW HAVE THESE RESETS AND RETURNS AFFECTED YOU? WHY DID THE HUMAN DO IT?"

"...they- the human..." Sans started, his throat starting to tighten due to his emotions getting a hold of him.

You put your hand on Sans' shoulder, "It's ok, you don't have to tell us. Whatever happened must have been a lot on you. I'm... I'm very sorry that happened to you Sans. That you were so alone in all of it."

Sans' smile faltered, looking at his brother.

"Papyrus, they... they-"

"I'M HERE NOW BROTHER. IT WILL ALL BE ALRIGHT." Papyrus said, carefully bringing Sans into a tight hug, "ALWAYS."

Sans quickly broke into tears, digging his face into Papyrus' shoulder and holding his brother tightly.

It was almost as if he thought Papyrus could disappear any moment.

That... must have been what happened.

Frisk must have murdered Papyrus... how many times? How many returns... and resets?