Chapter 12: A New Friend?

Out of all the books you read in Toriel's house, there hasn't been one this cute! The adventures of a little bunny, which somehow rang a bell, reminding you a little of the surface that your mind has forgotten.

"WOWIE! YOU DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP HALFWAY THROUGH LIKE SANS DOES!" Papyrus complimented.

"I thought this was to put you to sleep easier? He falls asleep reading your bedtime stories?" You asked.

"YES, THEN IT'S ALWAYS ME PUTTING HIM TO BED." Papyrus complains.

You laugh, setting the book back on the bookshelf where it belongs.

Noticing a figurine on the bookshelf fallen over, you set it back upright.

"...are you sure you'll be alright away from Sans? It sounds like he needs you more than you need him."

It was quiet for a moment before Papyrus sat up.

"I'M NOT SURE HOW, BUT HE WAS WORSE OFF BEFORE I MET YOU. REMEMBER WHEN HE BROKE THE CHINA WHEN I FIRST INTRODUCED YOU?" 

You nodded.

"HE'S GOTTEN A LOT BETTER SINCE THEN. I'M NOT SURE HOW BUT... ALL I CAN DO IS THANK YOU FOR COMING INTO MY LIFE- OUR LIVES," He said, his eyes softening, "I KNOW I SHOULDN'T BE THANKING YOU FOR FALLING INTO THE UNDERGROUND, BUT..."

You approached him, leaning him back into bed and tucking him in.

"Thank you for welcoming me into the underground and... not capturing me, I guess!" You laughed.

"AHA! THAT'S NOT ENTIRELY TRUE, AS I AM THE ONE WHO CAPTURED YOUR HEART!" Papyrus boasts, messing up the work you did on tucking him in.

All the heat in your body suddenly rises to your face, laughing out of embarrassment and tucking him back in carefully.

Nervously but quickly leaning over, you give him a quick kiss on the forehead before turning out the light.

"Goodnight... I love you Paps." You admit to him.

"E-EH?!" He says, his face glowing orange in the darkness, "I-I LOVE YOU TOO! UH- AND GOODNIGHT TO YOU TOO!"

Exiting the room, you close the door, your back to it as you slide to the ground - covering your steaming face.

"You've got it bad~!" A voice says from beside you.

Toriel stood with her back to the wall, arms crossed.

"Were you listening in on us?! Mom!" You whispered, shocked.

"Are you seriously asking me that right now? What mother wouldn't snoop on her child in a room with another person, and the door closed?" Toriel asks, acting taken aback, "I thought you knew me!"

"Shhh! You're gonna wake up Asgore! I just moved in here, I don't wanna be on bad terms with my new dad!" You whispered with concern.

Toriel laughed a little, under her breath, "If Papyrus wasn't so kind hearted, I'm 100% sure he would win a fight against Asgore for your hand. Plus, it was him who allowed Papyrus to move in here as your personal guard."

You blinked.

"Huh?"

"I was actually against it, but Asgore convinced me. Said it would help you adjust to living in the castle and... well, he wasn't going to pass on an opportunity to earn 'dad' points." Toriel admitted, "Papyrus is probably one of the only monsters in the underground I'd trust with you though!" 

You'd have chatted longer with Toriel, but seeing how late it was and how you kept yawning, she sent you to bed pretty quickly.

That story book really puts people to sleep. You can see why Sans falls asleep halfway through it, especially with how often he probably has to read it to Papyrus.