Chapter 13: Restoring Hope

Carefully holding your hands out, the soul floats giddily into your palms.

"Uh- So- What do I do now?" You ask Alphys nervously.

Alphys is frozen, still crouched on the ground surrounded by glass.

"Erm... t-that's unusual! The s-soul was always so troublesome! H-How did you...?"

You looked between them all and shrugged.

"PERHAPS IT'S YOUR SOUL TRAIT THE SOUL IS ATTRACTED TO?" Papyrus suggests.

"You know P-Papyrus, not enough people g-give you credit for how s-smart you are!" Alphys compliments him.

"So, what does a red soul mean? What's this soul trait?" You asked.

"Determination." Toriel answers.

You nod.

Suddenly, you remember what you came here for.

"I almost forgot why I traveled all the way here in the first place!" You laughed, "Alphys, Toriel is concerned about my condition, since a lot of time has passed since your last visit."

Alphys gets up, dusting off her lab coat, "Q-Quite true! It'd be an honor t-to make sure you're alright!"

She waves you towards a joining room to her office, gesturing you to take a seat on a bed.

Carefully she pulls over a large, flat machine, with a black screen. Next, she clicks a button on the side, the screen turning on and listing all sorts of data you don't understand.

"C-Could you ask the soul to move over f-for a moment please?" Alphys asks nervously.

Turning to the soul still floating in your palms, it quickly floats over to Toriel and waits patiently.

Alphys touches a button on the screen, and suddenly you're looking at your skeleton and...

"I-Interesting!" Alphys excitedly announces.

"What's all that... moving green stuff?" You ask.

It almost looks like how blood moves around in your body, but slower with less pathways.

"That's your m-magic! I've always w-wondered how magic moves through a h-human body!" She claps her hands together.

Alphys flips through a few different visual screenings before landing back on the magic analyzer. 

"I d-don't see anything odd except for th-this." She starts.

"INDEED! MAGIC ONLY MOVES WHEN WE ARE USING IT, THOUGH... MAYBE IT IS DIFFERENT FOR HUMANS?" Papyrus asks, his hand resting on his chin.

"Perhaps Buttercup's body isn't used to using magic?" Toriel asks worriedly.

"M-my theory is that it is h-healing Buttercup, actually!" Alphys announces, "The m-magic seems to be moving t-towards their h-head and... stomach?"

You laugh, Toriel and the rest looking confused.

"Ah... I threw up this morning."

Toriel lets out a laugh, sighing before speaking up.

"You also remembered something this morning, which triggered that."

You nodded, shuddering at the thought of the memory.

The red soul floats back over to you as the machine is turned off.

"One thing I'm s-still confused about my queen, is the o-only soul that's ever fallen down here with d-determination would have been..." Alphys starts, hesitating to finish her sentence.