Chapter 3: A Promise

Papyrus set you down gently before gasping, "OH! MY BROTHER WOULD BE SO SURPRISED TO HEAR I FOUND A HUMAN! MUCH LESS, A HUMAN FRIEND!" 

Your stomach dropped hearing this, and you interjected quickly.

"Papyrus wait! I really don't want anyone knowing I'm here. Toriel told me they hunt humans here and... well, you're kinder than she told me others are.." you admitted.

He nodded knowingly, "IT IS TRUE. IT'S MY DUTY AS A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL GUARD TO CAPTURE HUMANS-"

"WHAT?!", you exclaim in fear, "Please. Don't tell anyone about me, especially the fact I'm human. I just want to live peacefully here, it's a home to me."

"FEAR NOT! FRIENDSHIP COMES BEFORE MY ROYAL GUARD DUTIES! I WOULD NEVER TURN MY BACK TO A FRIEND IN NEED!" He poses dramatically, his scarf flowing in the cold breeze.

You take a deep breath before sighing, "Thank you Papyrus, I really appreciate that. What are you doing all the way over here? Are you the person who comes here to talk with Toriel?"

"I WASN'T AWARE SHE LIVES HERE, AT LEAST NOBODY KNEW UNTIL NOW," He stops, seeing your worried expression, "WHICH OF COURSE I WILL ALSO KEEP BETWEEN US!" 

"Thanks again."

"OF COURSE! I'M ACTUALLY OVER HERE TO FIND MY LAZY BONES BROTHER. HE'S PART OF THE ROYAL GUARD TOO BUT HE CARES MORE ABOUT SLEEPING THAN HIS JOB."

"Sleeping is really nice, I can't lie. Are you worried about him? Should we look for him together? Are humans recognizable around here?"

"IF HE ISN'T HERE, HE PROBABLY FELL ASLEEP AT HIS POST IN WATERFALL. WHICH MEANS HE NEVER CAME HERE LIKE HE WAS SUPPOSED TO." He crosses his arms, sighing.

"Well I better let you go before it gets dark, where's Waterfall? I wonder how water flows in a place like this."

Papyrus laughs, "NO, WATERFALL IS OUTSIDE OF SNOWDIN, WHICH IS WHERE WE ARE. THE UNDERGROUND IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOU THINK!"

You eyes lit up at this, "Wow! If I can convince Toriel to let me go out further, would you show me around?"

"WHY YES! IT WOULD BE MY HONOR! UNFORTUNATELY, I BEST BE GOING! IT WILL BE DARK SOON!"

You nodded, "When will I see you again?"

"I CAN COME BY TOMORROW IF YOU WOULD LIKE!" He exclaims, "THIS IS NOT FAR FROM MY REGULAR ROUTE!"

You clasped your hands together in excitement, "Awesome! I'll see you tomorrow!"

You and Papyrus said your goodbyes before you made your way to the stone door, pulling it open again with what strength you had as a human. Toriel made this look easy.

Closing the door behind you and turning around to continue down the hall, you bump into Toriel.

"OH! T-Toriel haha! You got here fast!"

Toriel was silent, staring at you, arms crossed.

"You forgot to check in with me. And don't tell me you were talking to yourself out there."

You swallow nervously, taking off the layers of clothes Toriel put you in.

"I'm sorry. I didn't go far at all, but someone found me. His name is Papyrus, but he promised not to tell anyone about me - He's really nice, so I'm sure it'll be ok!"

She sighs, rubbing her eyes with her palms, "Papyrus, ok. He should be fine but.. just run in if it's not him, ok? From now on."

"Actually... I was going to ask.. I was hoping you'd let me go further out into the Underground. He told me there's more than the- Than Snowdin," you mentioned, "Oh wait. I get it now. Snowed-in." you laughed.