Chapter 16: Truth and Morality

Papyrus came into the living room, quickly but carefully handing you your cocoa.

"CAREFUL, IT'S VERY HOT!" He advised as he headed back into the kitchen, returning with two more mugs, handing one to Sans before sitting beside you.

As you took your first sip carefully, Papyrus set his cup on the coffee table and pulled you in closer beside him.

Your face flushed slightly, quickly taking another sip of your cocoa as it warmed your body.

"So... feeling alright?" Sans asked, looking at you and Papyrus as he drank his cocoa.

"Mhm- well- it was only scary for- for a moment," you replied honestly, "Then my knight in sh-shining armor saved me."

Sans chuckled, Papyrus quickly interjecting.

"TRULY, IT IS WHAT ANY WOULD HAVE DONE! THOUGH, I DO HAVE THE MAGIC CAPABILITIES FOR IT." Papyrus added.

"Undyne probably coulda saved you too, magic or not. It's a good thing Papyrus was there- wait. I thought you hated using that kinda magic, Paps?" Sans asked, poking fun at his brother.

Papyrus scoffed, "BUTTERCUP FELL IN THE WATER, WHAT ELSE WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? JUMP IN AND DROWN AS WELL? I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE."

"I knew you were good at that sorta magic, Paps." Sans complimented his brother, "Used to watch you levitate your toy jets-" 

"NONSENSE! I DO NOT REMEMBER WHAT YOU SPEAK OF! A MEMBER OF THE ROYAL GUARD WOULD NEVER PLAY WITH SUCH TOYS!" Papyrus retorted.

"You both are really good brothers." You said happily, taking another drink of your cocoa.

"Huh? What makes you say that?"  Sans asks.

"Just- I have this feeling that.. I don't have siblings on the surface? Something about this is wholesome to me, but in a foreign way. I think it'd be nice to have siblings." You said, inspecting your now-half-full cocoa.

"YOU DO HAVE SIBLINGS, WELL, NEW ONES! ASRIEL AND CHARA." Papyrus said, "I HAVE TO AGREE THOUGH. SANS IS A FANTASTIC BROTHER!" Papyrus complimented.

"Aw shucks bro, you're too kind. Ah... yeah. Chara and Asriel. I almost forgot about our talk we were gonna have today." Sans said, his mind seemingly somewhere else.

"Oh, yeah! What was it that you were going to tell me?" You asked, taking another sip.

It was silent for a moment before Sans cleared his throat.

"Well, uh, ya might not believe me. I know I'll probably sound crazy, but will ya hear me out?" He asked nervously.

"Of course, I fell into an underground where monsters and magic exist. Not a lot can surprise me now." You said honestly.

"So... you know how we discovered you have the ability to uh.. "adapt" magic? I believe it's an effect of your soul trait, Kindness." He said.

"Okay! That makes sense. Have there been.. more effects from soul traits?" You asked curiously.

Sans nodded, taking a large breath, "There was someone who fell down before you, with a Determination soul trait, like Chara. I assume that as she is alive now, that she too has the ability to use this... "effect" to her will." 

"WHAT IS THIS, ER, EFFECT" Papyrus asked his brother.

"To reset, and take steps back in time to certain points. This human from the past I speak of, uh, did it countless times." He said, sweating and holding his hands together.