28 • Nervous

For the party, I went for a plain, elegant look to make the YSL heels stand out more. I wore a black, V-neck, puff sleeve dress that slipped low off my shoulders and hugged my body. It perfectly showcased the royalty diamond necklace I wear. Then, I twisted my copper hair into a low bun, leaving out two, curled strands.

And I put on Luca's favourite earrings: the dangling, diamonds ones.

"If she wakes up just give her her dummy and rock her back to sleep. She shouldn't want milk, but I've taken out some. It's in her bottle on her dresser." I enter Roman's room, triple-checking that the batteries in the baby monitor are full.

These heels kill me every time I walk. But beauty is pain and they're worth every bit of it.

When I look up, I catch Roman gawking at me with his eyes as wide as the sun and his jaw unhinged.

"What's wrong?" I ask. It's weird because, usually, his eyes are glued to his game.

He shakes his head, clears his throat and mumbles to himself as he shifts under his duvet.

"I've made chicken steak for dinner but if you don't want that, here's money for food," I continue, pulling out notes from my purse and placing it down on his nightstand, next to the baby monitor.

"I can handle it," he mumbles, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I know you can, and I'm not doubting you. It's just the first time I'm leaving you guys," I tell him, threading my fingers through my necklace.

My heart is thumping wildly with anxiety at the thought of leaving them. I wanted to back out and stay at home, but Luca convinced me not to. He said that it's better to get this first detachment over and done with before I prolong it and it becomes even more difficult.

Suddenly, it hits me that I've never left Roman home alone before. And now, I've left him with a baby. What if he gets too stressed out?

I perk up, "are you gonna be okay all home alone?"

Roman sends a miniscule glance at me and clutches the controller in his hands with a strained look on his face.

"Why are you not in the car?" Luca queries in his deep voice.

When I turn, he's standing in the doorway buttoning up his black blazer over his black shirt with one hand. He has a tumbler of whiskey in the other and the muscles in his neck flex as he takes a sip of it. He did brush his brown curls back, but I messed them up. I like his dishevelled look. It's so Luca.

I was just with him about a minute ago, but my knees tremble weak again.

Roman glances at him. "She's mother-goosing again."

What the hell does that mean?

Luca sighs, darting his eyes to me. He walks over and soothes, "Rosa, my love. Go sit in the car."

"But-."

"I'll handle it," he interrupts me, drawing soothing circles at my waist. His eyes soften and he asks, "you trust me, right?"

As I jump head-fast into his placid storm, I send him a definite nod.

"Then, drink this and go wait in the car," he demands in a gentle harshness. That's the tone that doesn't leave any room for argument.

I down the glass of whiskey he handed me and cringe at the sharpness in my throat. When I turn to Roman, I blow him a soft kiss and his lips twitch upwards.

I walk towards the door using the cold glass to calm my nerves. I'll just quickly go check on Aurelia.

"And don't even think of going into that nursery," Luca warns, "the more you disturb her, the more chance there is of her waking up."