20 • Pure

"Ha, bitch! Pay the fuck up! 750, please," Marco cheers, holding his hand out at me.

It's Christmas Eve and we're all huddled around the dining room table, playing Monopoly. I've just rolled the dice and my counter landed on his property.

We got the matching pyjama sets. I got them for Marco, Maya, me and even Roman. When I asked the other two, Luca flat-out said no and Brando cringed in disgust. Party poopers.

They're red, white and green flannel trousers. Maya and I wear them with white, long-sleeve crop tops while the boys wear white t-shirts.

"After everything I've done for you," I puff out my bottom lip, shuffling the paper money between my fingers.

"It's alright, baby. I'll pay it off for you," Luca says from across the table.

Brando made it a point to split us up because, apparently, we cheat when we sit next to each other. Though, he's not wrong. Luca would put his hand on my thigh, handing me some extra money, and then when he got called out, he'd say: "am I not allowed to touch my fiancée?"

Marco always inches his hand towards the bank and Maya talks too much so you get confused and end up giving her more money. I don't necessarily cheat for myself but I help other people.

Out of all of us, Brando is the only one who's serious about the game. It's why he always makes himself the banker because he's unbiased and fair.

"That's against the rules, asshole!" Maya narrows her eyes at me.

"Does it look like I'm someone who follows the rules?"

While Luca and Maya argue, Roman rolls the dice and lands on Luca's property. Since he's distracted, he doesn't see so I quickly push the counter onto the next square instead. Roman looks up at me with a faint smile and I wink at him.

Sitting in this room, I look around the table at each and every one of them. Luca and Maya incessantly arguing. Marco munching on the snacks. Brando triple-counting the money. And Roman reading a card. They're all like a silver lining to my dark cloud in their own ways.

Even Roman. I feel that helping him is saving a soul from the horrors of what I went through. I never had anyone to pull me out of it so I feel entitled to pull him out.

"Guys," I cut in loudly and they fall silent, "I'm going to make a tradition from now on that every holiday is spent at our house, no matter what."

Traditions are sentimental things to put in place because, to me, that's what makes a stronger family. And as the woman of the house, I get to make these.

"So even if we don't see each other the whole year, we get together for those days," Brando adds, "I actually really like that idea."

"Well, I'm never moving out anyway. You're stuck with me forever, Rosalie," Marco winks at me, resting his hands on the back of his head.

"Rosa," Luca calls and my gaze cuts to his. He glances at Roman and nods his head. I widen my eyebrows silently asking him if he's sure and he nods.

"I'll be right back. Do my turn for me, please," I announce, handing my things over to Brando.

I make my way over to Luca's office and rummage through the files on his desk. There's a sheet titled 'land registry' and I sigh in exasperation. What has this man bought now? Despite the allegations of him being stingy, he's been spending quite a lot of money recently, but also making three times more.

I spot the brown envelope I need and slip it out from the pile.

As I'm about to enter the dining room, the conversation has me stuck at the door.