23 • Comforted

When my phone rings, I drop everything I'm doing and bolt towards the front door. Luca called earlier today and told me he was on his way back so I told the security at the front to call me when he's here.

My yearning for him has me running out into the cool night, with only socks on my feet and a cardigan wrapped around my body. I jump in his arms and he wraps my legs around his waist.

I kiss him hard and pour every ounce of my longing into it. Luca responds, immediately, and does the same thing. My heart's been so unsettled since he left. The past couple of days have been bad and him not being here made it even worse for me.

I didn't have my serenity because it only lies in him. And now, as his mouth fuses with mine, I feel every bit of it.

Pulling away, I whisper to him, "I missed you so much."

Tears form in my eyes from the whiff of his familiar smell and the familiar sparks from his touch. The gentle stroke of his thumb rests underneath them and he pulls me into an embrace.

I know he's going to have to go out of town often. I can't stop it but I just hope it gets easier.

"I haven't been able to sleep for the past three days without you next to me," he says, burying his nose into my hair.

I'm not surprised because I know he's an insomniac.

I sense the extent to which he missed me too from his long inhale of me, the relaxing of his tense muscles and the way he tightens his hold.

"Same," I respond, vaguely. I don't know if he knows about my mental breakdown, yesterday. Marco most definitely mentioned it to him but he wouldn't tell him exactly what I said.

I pat his arm, indicating for him to put me down but he shakes his head, securing my legs around his waist. Luca's desperate to drink my features in so he raises his head, tracing his vivid, grey eyes all over my face.

When he notices my hair, he tilts his head, running his hands through it. "You cut your hair?"

I always liked having my hair long but that was too much. It reached down to my hips. I went today and got it layered and cut so it stops just under my chest. It's medium length but manageable.

"Do you like it?" I smile, gauging his reaction, "don't worry, I left it long enough so you can braid it."

"It suits you," he says, tugging his fingers through the natural waves. Then, his eyes dart back to the house. "Who's here?"

"No one. Maya went out with her friends. And Marco took Roman," I tell him.

His eyes widen in anger and he asks, "they left you alone?"

"Only for like five minutes," I deadpan, rolling my eyes, "it's not a big deal. Sometimes it's nice to be alone in a house that's always full."

Not that I have a problem with it. But, you need some peace and quiet now and then.

"Besides, why are you complaining? We've got the house to ourselves," I pull my bottom lip between my teeth and run my hand down his chest. His grip tightens around my thighs and he dips his head to mine.

As we're about to kiss, we're interrupted by the sudden pounding of heavy rain.

Excitement bubbles in me and I can't contain it. With my arms wrapped around Luca's neck, I throw my head back, inviting the refreshing drops of rain on my face. My hair sticks to my body. He trails soft, warm kisses on my neck, heating my cold body like an inferno and stops when he gets to my ear.

Huskily, he kisses my earlobe and speaks, "I know you love the rain but I don't want you to get sick so we're going inside."

I know exactly what he means by that so I don't protest.