13 • Devoted

Knocking my bruised knuckles on the wood of Luca's office door, I nod at Bryan, the security guard, who places the bitch's body on the floor. I instructed that when I holler for him, he should drag her body into the office.

"Hey," I greet Luca and stroll up to his desk, resting my hands on it, "I got to talk to you."

"When you're dressed like that, it's hard to listen to you," his voice lowers, huskily, as he scrutinises my attire, greedily. They zero in on one thing and I check to see him ogling my cleavage.

I pull the leather jacket over my chest, urging him, "well, try."

"I will try," he glances down to his lap, mumbling, "to not get hard."

"Luca, this is important," I whine, puffing out my bottom lip.

"Okay, sorry," Luca holds his hands up in surrender, sitting back in his chair.

"Erm, how do I say this?" I laugh nervously. Anxiously, I fiddle with my bracelet and feel the question in his eyes as he stares at me.

I want to address to him that what happened was sexual assault, but I don't know how he'll react, so I have to go about it carefully.

"You're not breaking up with me," he declares, adamantly. The anxiety swirls in his eyes and he sits forward, at the edge of his seat.

"What?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"You're going to break up with me because of what happened today," Luca gulps nervously, "I'm not letting that happen."

He's not addressing it as assault, so I need to.

"No, Luca. That's not what-," I cut myself off, inhaling a deep breath, "I just wanted to let you know that what happened to you was...sexual assault. It may not be as extreme as what happened to me but it's still considered that. Because you didn't consent."

There's that little squint in his eyes as he processes what I'm saying. He folds his hands together on top of the desk. I jump up on it, reaching over to touch his coarse hands.

I smile softly at him and then call, "Bryan!"

Luca glances at the door as it opens and I gauge his collected reaction. He doesn't show me anything of what he's thinking. It confuses me a little.

He already knows about my killer phase but he's never seen it.

This isn't about you, Rose. This is about him.

"Throw her on the floor, please," I instruct and Luca keeps his gaze fixated on the body. Gratefully, I smile in gratitude, "thank you, Bryan."

Bryan nods at me, dropping his gaze to the floor. Then, he nods at Luca and leaves the room, shutting the door on the way out.

The bitch lays unconscious on the floor, smeared in her dark blood. Her hair is frazzled, her nose broken and her cheek bruised.

"It was her, right?" I confirm and he nods, placidly. His shielded iron gaze stays set on her body and I struggle to decipher the rare emotions he does show.

"You were so supportive and helped me get justice from my assaulter so I thought I'd do the same for you," I admit, hesitantly, "please, don't be mad at me."

He glances down at my left hand which cradles his. Then, up at me. His eyes are soft with admiration and tenderness. I'm gazing at the streak of sunshine that peaks through his stormy clouds.

"Marry me," he breathes.

My heart skips a beat. And again. And again. And every second that passes in silence. I recoil, my eyes widening in astonishment.