Chapter 30

Libitina woke up before everyone else, quickly getting ready for the day ahead before making her way over to the betting den to get everything sorted out before they had to open. She was there for around fifteen minutes just sorting out books and everyone's desks when she heard a knock on the door. 

"We're not open for winnings yet!" Libitina shouted hoping the person would leave.

"I'm here to see Thomas Shelby!" The woman shouted back, Libitina recognising the voice almost immediately. 

Libitina walked over to the door, unlocking it quickly to be face to face with the one and only May Carleton. 

"I have an appointment." May said.

"Quickly come in." Libitina ushered, May running inside. 

Libitina closed the door quickly, locking it once again before running in front of May.

"Thomas has his meetings in his other office." Libitina stated.

"This is the address he gave me." May said.

"This address?" Libitina questioned.

"He said it was a gambling den. I told him that I always wanted to see one since I am always reading about them in the papers. Quite the big scandal in the Telegraph lately. Anyway, he said that I could come and have a look. And now I feel like a bit of an idiot because I'm early and he's late. And I have no idea how to behave." May explained.

"He's always late, nothing to worry about." Libitina joked.

"I'll wait in the car." May said.

"No, wait, you don't have to. If people see that door open for the second time they will all want to come. They are all like flies." Libitina explained, May stopping in her tracks.

Libitina walked around, sorting the rest of the stuff out while May stood there and waited. Libitina turned to look at the beautiful brown haired woman, "So, are you training Tommy's race horse for Epsom?" Libitina asked.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure anyway." May answered.

Before Libitina could say anything else she saw the door open, John walking in with bag, "There's a fucking great Riley parked out there and nobody's watching it." John announced, putting the bags down onto the table.

"John, this is May Carelton, she's training Tommy's horse." Libitina announced, John moving closer to the woman in front of him making Libitina scoff. 

"He's told us a lot about you." John stated.

"Don't know where he is, do you?" May asked.

The door closed from the main part of the house, John nodding towards it seeing Tommy walk in which caused May to turn around.

"Sorry I am late. There was a family matter. Libitina, keep it closed up for a minute." Tommy explained.

"Yeah, I figured." Libitina answered, carrying on with sorting everything out whilst Tommy talked to May.

John walked off to his office, Tommy showing the woman around whilst talking to her. Libitina wasn't really listening, there was no reason for her to listen to the business he had with this woman in front of him. 

Tommy and May walked out after a couple minutes, Libitina sitting at her desk in silence waiting for everyone else to arrive before she opened up the betting den for people to come in. Libitina was reading through one of the books, cigarette in hand whilst flipping through it. She got pulled out from reading when she heard footsteps, looking up to her husband now in front of her. 

"Oh, hello." Libitina said sarcastically looking back down at the book taking a puff from her cigarette.

"You can't ignore me forever, you know?" John said.