Chapter 6

1914

It was a very sad day in the town of Small Heath. The Shelby family were sitting around the dining room table, just being told by the 3 oldest brothers that they are going to war in a weeks time. The girls didn't know how to take this news, they were sad because they didn't want them to go. They were angry at the King of England making all men go fight a war that wasn't theirs.

Libitina and John have not spoken ever since that day a couple years ago. John having now 3 kids and one on the way with his wife, Martha. Of course, she was happy for them but it hurt her that the love of her life shared the life she wanted with him with another woman. John did try talk to her, he did tell her he would leave Martha, but Libitina couldn't stand Martha raising their baby alone, so she told him whatever it was they had was finished.

She couldn't stand seeing the three oldest brothers leave, she hated it. She didn't know if they would come back, and if they did she definitely expected them to come back as different men. They said all men would be back by Christmas, but everyone knew that was a lie.

John hated seeing Libitina so destressed and scared, but he knew his boundaries with her now, even if he didn't like them. John still didn't love Martha, he couldn't love her no matter how hard he tried because in reality, Martha wasn't his Tina. He loved his 3 kids he always will, but he will not be able to grow to love Martha.

When the family finished they all went their separate ways, Ada and Libitina headed back to their room quietly. Ada knew everything about Libitina and John and she hated how it hurt her bestfriend.

"Lib, how are you doing?" Ada asked, worried for her best friend.

"I'm doing okay, scared for all three of them. I just don't understand why the King wants men to fight a war that's not theirs." Libitina said with tears in her eyes.

"I know your worrying about John L, you still love him even if you don't want to show it. He loves you too, he can't get himself to fall in love with Martha, you are his Tina, stop pushing him away cause if you keep pushing him away he won't be the same when he comes home. Please Lib just think about it, okay?" Ada spoke to Lib.

Libitina listened to what Ada said, she decided to talk to John, she didn't know what she was going to say but she knew it would come from her heart.

"Okay." Libitina said to Ada. She stood up and headed over to John's room. Right after Libitina left the room, Ada went downstairs to meet the rest of the family.

She gave his door a soft knock waiting for him to say something.

"Come in." he said in a soft voice not expecting the love of his life on the other side.

She opened the door slowly and stood in the door way. John was sat still on his bed surprised to see his Tina at his door. Libitina walked into his room and closed his door gently.

"Hi Johnny." the girl said softly to the boy sitting in front of her with a small smile on her face.

John's face lit up when she spoke them two words. He hasn't heard them words come out of the sweets girls mouth for so long. He stood up from his place on his bed and ran across the room and took her in his arms without a care in the world. He picked her up off of the floor and spun her around which made her giggle with happiness.

"What are you doing here Tina, I thought we couldn't talk anymore?" John questioned the girl in his arms.

"I'm sorry Johnny I really am but Ada told me I should stick up some courage and come talk to you, with you going to fight a war that isn't yours to fight scares me, and I know when you come home you won't be the same man you are right now. I need to stop running away when I know what I want even if I can't have it. I want you Johnny, I always have and I always will. I don't want you to leave Martha but I just want you to know, if something happens when your away, I will still be here, waiting, for you and only you, you are my Johnny. Always." Libitina said this to John truthfully, she couldn't stand not talking to him, even if it was just small arguments like they used to have when they were younger.

John put Libitina down and looked deep into her hazel eyes. He was shocked with her answer but he finally heard the words he wanted to hear for the past three years. He decided to close the gap between them and kiss the love of his life. This wasn't a sexual kiss, this kiss meant so much more to both of them than they knew. This kiss showed how much they missed and loved each other. They longed for this for so long, longer than they would like to let on.

John picked her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist, John walked towards the bed and laid her down slowly, lips still attached to each others not wanting to let go. John was now hovering over Libitina, Libitina pulled away to catch her breath.

"Everyone's home we can't do this." Libitina spoke up.

"They have all gone to The Garrison, they needed to sort something out." John said to Libitina.

Libitina closed the gap between them and kissed the love of her life passionately. She started to undo John's buttons on his shirt, it was John who pulled away this time, looking deep into her eyes making sure this was what she wanted and if she was ready. Libitina gave him a reassuring nod. John kissing her passionately. John started to undress Libitina and she carried on undressing him. When they were both unclothed John pulled away to take in every bit of her.

"You are beautiful Tina, please never forget that." he told her sweetly.

Libitina blushed at his words, speechless.

"If it begins to hurt please tell me and I will stop." John said genuinely.

She just gave him a nod and closed the gap between them. Everything was hazy, nothing else around them mattered to them, both of them breathing fast and heartbeats quickening. Their body's moved well together, softly but harshly.

All the emotions came running back for both of them, they didn't regret it.

They were happy, even if they hurt others, their happiness was the only thing that mattered to them.

"I love you, Tina." John whispered into her ear.

"I love you too, Johnny." Libitina breathed back.