Chapter 1

1911

Libitina was woken up by the light coming in from her thin curtains, hearing her best friend Ada still snoring away she sneaked off downstairs to get some tea and breakfast. When she got down the stairs she was faced with John Shelby, her not so good friend. The two of them never seemed to get along, but sometimes when they were alone, the atmosphere changed and they both noticed but never wanted to realize it. When he turned around she saw him smirking with a toothpick in his mouth. She stood there frozen like a statue surprised he was the only one downstairs and awake. She shook herself out of her gaze and made her way to the kitchen to make breakfast for the household, she walked past John quietly so no argument started.

"How's Martha?" Libitina asked genuinely worried for her friend as she hasn't seen her for a while.

"Why do you care?" John said rudely waiting for the reaction he so desperately wanted.

"I'm so sorry," Libitina said in a snarky tone with a smirk on her face. She put her hands up in a mock surrender movement. "For caring about my friend."

John made swift movements to Libitina and pushed her onto the counter. She flinched at the encounter.

"She's pregnant which means I have to marry her and I don't even think I'm in love with her, she wants to keep the kid which is stressing me out cause I'm not ready to be a dad." John said needing reassurance from the girl in front of him.

Libitina looked at him with a sad expression on her face, she tried to give him a reassuring smile but it didn't work. She moved closer to John and wrapped her hands around him while whispering in his ear. "It will get better overtime Johnny, you may not be ready to be a dad but I know you will try and be the best dad that you can."

John's mind was all over the place when she said those words. He didn't expect her to hug him and be so kind to him. He always treated her horribly but that was because he didn't want to show his real feelings to her or any of the family. He knew deep down he had genuine feelings for the girl he was holding in his arms, but he didn't know if she felt the same so he hid his feelings and acted like he didn't like her.

They both let go of each other when they heard little feet coming down the stairs, Finn suddenly appeared and jumped into John's arms, cuddling his older brother. Libitina carried on with making breakfast and when it was ready she set it on the table and woke up the rest of the household.

Her and Ada planned to go out to the cut with two boys from their class, Billy Swan and Everet Greene. Ada and Everet had little crushes on each other but couldn't date each other in public because if the Shelby brothers found out the young boy would get beaten up for even going near Ada Shelby.

Whilst the girls got ready they were having small talk, Ada still couldn't believe Libitina hasn't had her first kiss, Libitina was a very gorgeous girl at the age of fifteen, her long brown curly hair always looked like it was parted and seemingly perfect. Her hazel eyes were fields of green that people could get lost upon, plump light pink lips always sat with a slight pout across her face.

When the girls were finished they snuck their way down the squeaky stairs of the Shelby home, just as they got down the stairs John stopped them at the last step.

"Where are you two going then ay?" he spoke up only fixing his gaze on Libitina.

Libatina stood as still as a statue not knowing what to say wishing Ada had a plan if this happened. Ada then spoke up, voice firm not caring if she annoyed her older brother. "We are going to the cut, we are bored sitting around this house with nothing to do, plus we want a girly chat." she said interwinding the two girls arms while winking at John.

"Ew okay whatever, don't be home too late and if I find out your going to meet boys there will be trouble" John spoke as the two girls were running out the door.