Chapter 9

Libitina has been staying in John's room at his separate home across the street ever since Martha died, she was looking after the kids. Libitina saw Martha the day before she died, they both set their issues aside and talked about the kids and John. Martha asked Libitina to look after the kids like they were her own and to look after John when she was gone. Libitina stuck to her promise about looking after the kids, the kids started to feel comfortable with her which made her feel happy and like she had a new place to call home with them.

On the day of Martha's funeral the Shelby's and Libitina stayed at home, this was because they were not allowed to attend, not even Martha's kids. This annoyed the household because the kids should have every right to say goodbye to their mother no matter what.

However, the Shelby women decided to celebrate Martha's life with a few bottles of whiskey and nice stories of the lovely woman that was part of their family. When the sun went down and the moon raised Libitina decided to take the kids to their mothers newly dug grave because she knew they deserved to say goodbye to the woman that gave them their life.

Libitina popped to the local flower shop that afternoon to pick up some lovely fresh flowers so the kids could lay them down for their mother. She picked up some lilies and some daisies as she knew Martha loved the two flowers mixed together. Her and Martha used to be very close when they were younger but when Libitina found out about Martha and John it was hard for her to confide in Martha as a friend. She knew it was selfish but it hurt her so much knowing her best friend was with the boy she had some what feelings for, but she set those feelings aside the day before Martha died and sat next to her for the whole night, and now she needs to look out for her kids like Martha asked.

When the kids were finished eating their tea Libitina helped them tie their shoes and put on their coats on. She held the new baby boy in her arms and held the eldest girls hand while they walked down the street to the cemetery.

"Would you like to put the flowers down for your mummy?" Libitina asked Evelyn as she was the one holding the flowers. Katie let go of Libitina's hand and stood next to her little sister, that's when George joined his sisters and they walked closer to their mothers grave to lay the flowers down for her.

Libitina was holding Harry in her arms as she walked closer to the kids. Katie, Evelyn and George then sat down next to her grave and looked up to Libitina.

"Where's mummy now auntie?" Katie asked curiously.

"She's in heaven now Katie, she's sitting on a big white fluffy cloud above all the smoke and ash. She's looking down on all of you and she is extremely proud of you guys for being so strong." Libitina said with tears threatening to fall from her hazel eyes.

"Hi mummy" The children all said in unison looking up to the sky and waving.

"Should we start to head home now kids? It's getting very chilly and I don't think your mummy would be very happy with me if I let you guys catch a cold now would she?" Libitina said to the kids sitting next to their mums grave.

The kids stood up and said goodbye to their mum's grave stone and headed towards Libitina who led them down to Watery Lane and into their warm home.

She helped all the kids out of their coats and shoes and helped them get changed into their sleep wear. She put Harry in his crib and then helped the rest of the kids into the double bed the kids shared. She got out a book and started reading them a story to get them to sleep and within a few minutes they were all asleep. She stood up from her chair and tucked the kids in leaving little kisses on their foreheads. She left the room quietly leaving the bedroom door slightly a jar so there was still light going into their room.

She opened the room to John's door and went into the wardrobe to get unchanged into her undergarments. When she was done getting unchanged and washing herself up she got into the nice warm bed and looked up at the ceiling letting her thoughts run through her mind.

She thought how hurt John must be knowing the kids wouldn't have their mother anymore. But just like Polly said "God takes the best ones first" she thought. And with that last thought leaving her head she drifted into a deep slumber.