Chapter 23

The whole Shelby clan was called for a family meeting by Tommy in the betting den. John and Libitina got ready quickly and left their home because they were late, Mia already being there anyway. When they arrived they realised Tommy wasn't even there yet. Libitina took a seat on the stairs while John stood in front of the table. Finn kept pacing around the room, not knowing what to do with himself.

"Sit down, Finn." Arthur ordered, making Finn take a seat at the table.

"Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" John asked.

"He's on his way." Polly stated.

"While we are waiting patiently.." Arthur started, standing up from the table and grabbing a crate of whiskey. "Whiskey. Left over from the explosion." He said making everyone around the table pour themselves some, except from Finn.

John drank his whiskey before putting his arms behind him on his back and speaking up. "Right. Before Tommy gets here, there's a few things we need to get straight between us."

"You think?" Polly questioned.

"Yeah. Yeah I do." John started. " I want to know when did we all take a vote on this expansion south?"

"You have anything to say, you wait for Thomas." Polly argued.

"Polly is fuckin' right." Arthur agreed.

"I see all the books. Legal and off-track. See stuff you don't see. In the past year, the Shelby Company Limited has been making one hundred and fifty pounds a day." John explained. "Right? A fuckin' day! Sometimes more. So what I wanna know is why we are changing things?" He questioned.

"Polly, look what's happened already. We haven't even set foot in London yet, they've already blown up our pub." John said.

"Who said anything about Cockneys?" Arthur questioned.

"Who else?" Libitina questioned.

"You know who did it do you?" Polly asked Libitina.

"No Poll, she doesn't know who did it." John said.

Tommy finally arrived, looking around the room at everyone.

"I'm clearly not even allowed to speak, so I'm staying quiet." Libitina said, looking at Polly.

"Everyone's allowed to speak." Tommy spoke up. "On your feet Lib. Let's hear what you have to say."

"I speak for our household. So could.." John said, Tommy interrupting him.

"John. This company is a modern enterprise and believes in equal rights for women. On your feet Libitina." Tommy ordered.

Libitina stood up and stepped down the stairs so everyone could see her. "I am not a blood member of this family. But perhaps because I am not a member I can see things in a different light. So I will get to my point." Libitina started.

"That would be nice." Polly interrupted.

"As my husband said, Shelby Company Limited is now very successful. But London... I have kin in Shepherds Bush and Portobello. It's more like fuckin' wars between armies down there. And the coppers fight side by side with them. And there are foreigners of every description. And the use of bombs is the least of it. I have five children Tommy. Blessed with the Shelby family good looks even though four of 'em ain't mine. I want John to see them grow because Martha couldn't. I want us to live somewhere, outside of Birmingham with fresh air. But London is just smoke and trouble Tommy." Libitina explained.

"Tommy?" Polly questioned.

"That's all I have to say." Libitina stated, sitting back down on the steps.