Chapter 10: Sorting and Unity

Little Dragon

Authors Note: The last time that I checked my reviews I was up to 225. 225! That is amazing guys! I swear, I had to sit down and I was walking outside! I just stopped right there in the middle of the sidewalk and started acting like smeagol as I scrolled through them all, I even did the whole 'My precious' thing. Then I had to come inside because the horrible light of the day star was burning my retinas and my fingers itched to type away!

I added the song, don't like it go ahead and skip over it I don't mind! ^-^

Disclaimer: We do's not own's this! This is masters! Agh! The light! It burns' us!
_

________________________________________

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, a relatively tall witch with black hair that was pulled back into a severe bun and who was wearing a set of emerald colored robes. She looked stern, not someone to cross lightly, but she also looked nice if you didn't get on her nerves. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, which had been hastily fastened under his left ear in the excitement of arriving at the station, and on the smudge on Ron's nose which refused to go away despite all of his friends' attempts. Harry and Hermione both began to nervously attempt to flatten their hair until they noticed Neville and Ron's chuckles and stopped with crimson blushes staining their cheeks.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," Professor McGonagall said with a hint of amusement. "Please wait quietly."

She then left the chamber and with the closing of the door the once silent room filled with nervous whispers.

"Hey guys," Neville asked as he moved closer nervously, "How exactly is it that we're sorted?"

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking," Ron said absentmindedly as he batted Hermione's hands away from his smudged nose. "Hermione, it's not coming off so leave it."

"Of course he was Ron," Harry said with a smile as he fixed the clasp of Nevilles robes for him. "Bill said that it's done by an ancient magical artifact that determines which traits are greater and which house we fit in best."

And just like that the nervousness seemed to leach itself from the group as they turned to wait for the professors return. Just as they had begun to truly relax a sudden scream caused them to jump and turn towards the back of the room from where it had originated.