Chapter 17 Chunin Exams Part 1

Kakashi and I made it back to the Hokage at the top of the academy. When we walked in the room and it was full of leaf Jonin. They were all standing and sitting around talking with each other like they were waiting for something. As I was looking around, I saw Kurenai and Asuma making their way over to us. I waved and smiled as Kakashi stood there, hands in his pockets, and a lazy eye.

            “Kurenai! Asuma! Are we late? Did anything happen yet with the Hokage?”

            Kurenai shook her head and as she was about to speak Guy came barging in to our conversation. Like always, loud, needed to challenge Kakashi at…well…something, and boasting about how great he was. I will admit that when you see Guy like this you may not think much of him, but that is a big mistake. Guy is one of the strongest leaf shinobi I have ever met, his way with taijutsu is amazing and he was fast and flawless. No wonder why he wants to challenge Kakashi all the time…they are pretty much at the same level.

            “Hello everyone! Guy here! Oh, and I see Isamu my lotus flower is here! It has been too long for us to be apart….I will win your love no matter what!”

            I just rolled my eyes and crossed my arms; my cheeks went red when I saw Kurenai winking at me and Asuma getting uncomfortable. I then glanced over at Kakashi and…no surprise…nothing from him, not even a sound. Sometimes when he is like this, I can’t help but wonder to myself…how is he this cold and arrogant to everyone else and on the complete opposite side of the spectrum with me? I won’t lie I had my fair share of Kakashi’s ‘normal’ attitude, but it’s nowhere near what it was when we were kids, and when I first came to the academy.

            I looked down and my cheeks went red as I smiled at the thought. The thought of that kiss we had not too long ago…I could almost feel it like it was happening right here and now. I then saw Kurenai bent down with her hand waving in my face to get my attention.

            “You okay Isamu? The Hokage has arrived, so we need to gather around to see what he has to announce for the Chunin Exams.”

            I shook from my daydreaming trance and nodded. I followed behind Kurenai and Kakashi was close behind me…a little too close…I could almost feel him pressed up against my back. I got butterflies in my stomach, and I was trying to calm myself so I wouldn’t become even redder than I was. We then found a place that was more in the back of the room but it had a good view of the Hokage so we stayed. Kakashi was propped against a pillar close to the side wall, Kurenai and Asuma were standing side by side facing in the direction of the Hokage. Guy was…making his way to the front of the room closest to the Hokage…should have seen that coming. I stood in front of Kakashi with my back to the wall and my head turned to face the Hokage.

As I was waiting, looking up towards the Hokage ready for him to start, Kurenai turned around and that shifted my attention to her. I saw her staring back at me…then her eyes darted back to where Kakashi was behind me.

            “You keep staring at Isamu like that you may not have a good eye anymore.”

            Asuma turned around to see what Kurenai was talking about, and I saw his gaze go to Kakashi. I then turned my head the other way and I saw Kakashi looking away trying to avert his gaze with any of us, and his face went really red. The part that I could see was red anyway, but he didn’t say a word. Kurenai and Asuma giggled, and I shifted my right hand so that it met the elbow of his crossed arm. I patted it softly and gave him a big smile, if people’s heads could explode from embarrassment, then Kakashi’s would be doing that right now. I then saw the Hokage stand and called out to everyone to grab our attention.