Chapter 14 The Scroll

I woke up this morning and I felt pretty relaxed, which was surprising considering the past few days I’ve had. I was really looking forward to some time alone, and some time to relax a little. The training Lord Hokage was talking about sounded like it was going to be really intense. With this, I wanted to make sure I could relax a little before pouring blood, sweat, and tears again.

            I finished getting ready for the day, grabbed my key, and walked out of my apartment to start heading toward the market space. I needed to restock my food supply and wanted to browse and see what other cool things I could find.  It’s been so long since I’ve been to the market that, I had no idea how many sellers there were and what kinds of things they would be selling these days.

            As I made my way I looked up to the sky, the sun was out, with little to no clouds, and a cool breeze. It was such a nice day, I sighed and smiled as I was soaking in the sun.  then finally made it and I started at a cart that was set up selling red bean paste rice balls and dumplings and a few other things. Those red bean-paste rice balls and dumplings are my favorite food besides ramen of course! I ended up pretty much buying almost everything they had made before they opened up, but I didn’t care I was going to enjoy every last one of them! I then made my way to another kart for some vegetables, spices, and herbs for cooking. I continued on and as I came to a cart that was set up with jewelry I heard a familiar voice calling my name.

            “Isamu! Hey is that you over there!”

                        I turned around to see Kurenai, Asuma, and Iruka in a small group heading my way. Kurenai was smiling and yelling my name which made everyone stare. I know she didn’t care but, I did. I really didn’t want everyone’s eyes on me right now.

            “Hey Kurenai! Asuma, Iruka! How are you guys?”

            Kurenai went in for a big bear hug and I just patted the upper part of her back trying to get free so I could breathe.

            “We are good just about to head out to get some lunch, we have the day free from the troublemakers…we should probably make the best of it!”

                        Kurenai and I locked gazes and we both rolled our eyes. She then playfully hit Asuma’s shoulder.

            “Asuma! They are not troublemakers please!”

            We all laughed and Iruka then looked at me with a big smile on his face.

            “Would you like to join us? We are going down to this BBQ place not too far from the market.”

            I felt my stomach growl at the word ‘BBQ’ and I think that pretty much gave my answer. Kurenai grabbed my arm and we followed the two boys to the BBQ place. We ended up getting a bigger community table in the back of the shop where it was a little quieter. We all sat down and started talking about how everyone’s teams are with their progress. Kurenai and Asuma of course were boasting and trying to compete with each other trying to prove which one of them had a stronger team.

            While Asuma and Kurenai were getting into it I saw Iruka staring at me with a faint smile on his face. I turned my gaze to him and gave a deadpan expression while I shrugged my shoulders a little.

            “Can I help you?”

            Iruka laughed softly and rubbed his neck in embarrassment and shook his head.

            “Not really no! I just am happy you’re back. We’ve missed you while you were away for so long.”

            Kurenai and Asuma stopped their bickering and stared at Iruka and moved their attention to me awaiting my reaction.