One-The end of one life

Dani gasped.

Her body jerked as if icy fingers brushed her spine.

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.

"What?" She spun around. "Who's there?"

She was alone. Taking a ragged breath, she calmed, and the familiar words whispered through her this time leaving a sense of peace. Where had she heard them? Dani tried to remember.

"God?" she whispered.

There was no answer.

Shaking off the fear, she unlocked the door to her condo and stepped inside. It was cold and dark and lonely. Or maybe she was lonely. She did live alone and had appreciated her privacy, that is until recently. Lately, the quiet was accusing instead of peaceful. She had too much time alone with past mistakes.

She'd chosen this life. Sold her soul for fame and fortune. If she'd only known then, that some choices left permanent scars.

Back then she'd been pregnant and afraid. The love of her life had proposed, and she'd thrown it in his face. She'd had the baby and signed away her rights.

Dear God, what had she done!

A heart-wrenching sob tore from her chest.

Tossing her keys on the credenza, she inhaled, and the faint scent of aftershave teased her senses.

Terror seized her.

She knew that scent. Feared it above all else. No! He was in prison.

She froze. Listening. All she heard was her heart thundering against her chest. The condo was quiet. Too quiet. The silence mocked her.

It was so cold. Had she turned the heat down? Not that it mattered. Not now.

Labored gulps of chilly air filled her lungs. She had to slow her breathing or she'd pass out. Inhale. Exhale.

She was imagining the scent. He wasn't here.

"Hello, Danielle."

The voice of her nightmares rose from the darkness.

A scream pierced the air, and she realized it was hers. Every second mattered. Turning, she ran for the door, fumbled with the lock, and yanked it open.

With lightning speed, an arm shot out and slammed it shut.

"No!" Dani's fists flew.

He laughed.

Dani sprang into action, desperate to get away.

"Cat and mouse," he chanted in an eerie voice.

Her foot caught on an ottoman and she went down, scrambled to her feet, and took off toward the kitchen. If she could make it to the back door...

"Patience has the cat. Fear makes the mouse careless." A creepy high-pitched chuckle kissed the air. "Run little mouse."

Pain shot through her ankle, but she kept moving.

Was this how she would end? Not that she deserved better, but she wanted a chance to make up for the sins of her past. She was only twenty-three and she ruined her life. She'd done everything wrong.

Jacob. Her precious son would never know that the day he was born was the best day of her life. He would never know her.

And Josh... She'd never get the chance to tell him how much she still loved him. How she regretted not marrying him. If only she had more time.

She didn't want to die, God! Please...forgive me!

"Dan-ielllllle."

She made it to the back door, but he was close. Reaching for the lock, she twisted, pulled the door open, and stumbled outside.

"Cat and mouse," he sang, right behind her.

Images of Josh and Jacob flashed in her mind. Please, God, help me! I'm sorry for everything.

"Not so fast, little mouse." His sing-song voice was chilling.

A scream tore from her throat as heavy hands fell on her shoulders and yanked her back with brutal force.

God, forgive me!

She stumbled and he released her. Quickly spinning around, she saw the knife raised high in the air. Her gaze connected with his cold, dead stare, and time seemed to slow. The blade came for her like the angel of death.

Take care of Josh and Jacob, Lord God, please! I am yours!

Her last thought was of Him.

Jesus.