Chapter 61

Holding the tray Maria served me before I dozed off, here I am hurriedly making my way downstairs. I'm left wondering what Maria put in the meal to help me fall asleep, and I find it hard to believe I slept for some hours during the day.

I'm already dressed in my cargo pants and t-shirt and plan to stop by the kitchen before leaving to go get my motorbike.

It was already eight o'clock when I met Dad and Olivia in the living room, watching the news.

Dad says, "Hey boy, what's up?"

"I'm fine," I say quickly, not pausing in any way. The way he acts as though nothing happened irritates me.

Maria is mopping the floor when I walk into the kitchen and I set the tray on the cabinet.

"Well done," I commend.

"Thank you," she responds with a smile.

"I'm just wondering why I was fast asleep a few minutes after eating the fries," I inquire, while she chuckles slightly.

"That was the work of the chamomile tea you had," She explains, and my brows raise in surprise.

"As if you knew I needed that," I retort, knowing that after what I've been through today, I might have trouble sleeping.

"Well, it was the chief's order," She says, and I roll my eyes. "He understands how difficult it is for you to learn things about him." While I have no sympathy for what she said about my father, she adds.

He would not have continued doing it if he cared about his children knowing things about him.

"I will rather thank you for making me the tea," I say and as I begin to leave the kitchen, she gives me a soft smile.

The news on TV piqued my interest the moment I heard about what happened this afternoon.

"Today, NDLEA officers conducted a raid at the residence of Chief Wole Anderson, one of the candidates running for governor of Lagos State in the upcoming election. It was concerning when they discovered a suitcase containing cocaine in his personal assistant's office, and this has been shocking."

I immediately return to the living room after hearing that to watch the news. As Jeff was caught on camera and displayed holding the suitcase, my heart ached.

As I slip my eyeballs to Dad holding Olivia tightly while they concentrate on the TV, I give him the death stare.

The woman reading the news is shown again as she continues.

"In the midst of all of this, the people of Lagos State have given Chief Anderson the benefit of the doubt as the right candidate to be the next governor of Lagos State, based on the fact that he and his daughter were the ones who notified the NDLEA. Additionally, the Chief also addressed the concerns Lagosians have regarding his assistant, Jeffery Okoh."

The following video shows Dad being interviewed by a reporter in front of the mansion.

"How do you feel about discovering that your PA is a drug dealer?" The journalist enquired.

"I was so disappointed because this is the worst thing that has recently happened to me or those close to me. Finding out my PA, in whom I have a great deal of confidence, was also somewhat shocking to me."

"What would you like to tell Lagos residents who are doubtful of this?"

"Well, even though my PA, Jeffery, causes me and my family shame and embarrassment, I'm still who I am, and nothing is going to change that. And the fact that I didn't hesitate to alert the NDLEA would lead me to encourage the general populace to continue outing these crooks to build a stronger country as a whole. If we choose to hide those who want to destroy this nation, what will that accomplish for us? God bless Lagosians, and Nigeria will rise again."