Chapter 18

We get home and she brings out a bunch of keys in her pocket to unlock the door. Our conversation has been lively like we have known each other for a long time. She will make a good friend experiencing and enjoying her company.

The iron front door makes a creaking sound as she opens it widely. She then walks in while I stay still at the entrance, folding my arms, waiting for her to...

"I won't ask you to come in," She states, giving a lopsided smile with her smirking eyes on me.

"Oh!" I react and I walk into the living room while she closes the door gently.

I look around, despite the bulbs not lighting up, the living room is still bright with the sun streaking through the window as the curtains are left open.

The living room is about normal size with a rectangular shape painted in grey.

Brown couches half circle the center table placed on a rug that almost reaches the couches.

On the north side, there is a flat tv on the stand with some discs and books in the opened drawers and flower vases sitting beside the two corners.

"Lovely place," I commend, still feasting for my eyes as I now focus on the frames hanging on the wall.

"At least my granny tries," She replies.

"Of course," I reply, and my phone chimes.

I mutter shit as I see a notification of my battery remaining 20 percent.

"Is there light?" I ask her and she nods no.

"Here is not Ikoyi but I can help by giving you my power bank," She explains.

"I will appreciate that,"

She starts walking in while I focus my eyes back on the frames. Most are pictures of babies and toddlers carried by her granny alone or accompanied by other relatives. This place should just be awarded for creating memories.

This is what most grandparents do. They love to keep old things safe. I can remember the last time I visited my grandparents, I still reviewed the photobooks of relatives together, and it made me freeze and look back on those precious moments.

And I couldn't stop laughing at the ones I hadn't been born yet, like mom's graduating pictures, and wedding pictures.

Still looking around, I come across an old photo of a young man in a native dress.

It seems I have seen or met the person before. The face in particular looks familiar, but I can't figure it out.

Trying as much as possible to think right, I hear Karen's voice behind me.

"My dad," She says as she returns.

"Really?" I ask as I turn around for her to hand me an oriamo power bank.

"I'm not an iPhone user," She adds.

"Thanks, my charger is here with me," I reply. She smiles slightly and goes in again while I move to the couch to bring out my USB cable in my bag so that I can plug in my phone.

Within some minutes, she comes back with two bottles of chilled fearless energy drink with water condensing out of them.

"You are this nice," I say as I take one from her.

"I'm not you," She replies and sits beside me, the power bank and my phone between us.

We both open the bottles and I immediately drink off while she just takes a sip as I watch her pressing her phone.

I feel relaxed with the chilled drink.

"So tell me your favorite spot in this neighborhood," I say and she looks at me. Her lush eyelashes suddenly flutter.