Chapter 45

I couldn't stop thinking about the story Ren's dad narrated to me that I went straight to my dad after racing down home. I entered his study after a knock on the door.

"Hey, boy," He greets me in his swivel chair. "How was your exam?"

"Fine," I answer as I made my way to sit in front of him. "And I also checked on Mr. Ademola at the prison,"

"What the hell were you thinking," He chid at me, raising his brows in shock and I scoff a little.

"Are you upset that he told me everything that happened?" I reply sarcastically, furrowing my brows at him and he tries to calm himself.

"I was upset that you should be focusing on your next paper, not this," He shrugs.

"I would have if you had told me the truth, but he explained everything to me,"

"Why are you even interested in this, it's my past." He argues, frowning at me.

"Really? And you are sure it's not trying to hunt you down with the fucking photo you have in the vase," I am saying and I slip my eyeballs to the vase to see it's not there anymore. "I overheard you and Jeffrey on Saturday," I add to play along based on what Maria eavesdropped.

My point is if he had nothing to do with the crime, why would he even be restless about Karen working for him?

He slams a fist on his table, probably thinking that I knew everything he and Jeff discussed. I should keep playing along till I find out the truth from him.

"I'm not a kid for whom you can just form a story. Were you responsible for the crime and framed Mr. Ademola for it?" I inquire, looking more serious than ever while he pours some wine into his glass. "I want you to be honest this time Dad," I say boldly, looking into his eyes,"

"It wasn't only me," He says calmly, and my heart begins to race.

"You and who?"

"Chuks, one of the sales agents," He answers and sips some wine. The fact that he admitted he was responsible for the crime made me feel so ashamed of him.

"Why would you think of doing that?"

"He was careless with the keys,"

"And he was being punished for what he didn't commit,"

"That is how life is Mike, you have no idea how I suffered, and agreeing to that was the only opportunity that could change my life forever," He defends and I give him a death stare, trying hard not to lose my mind.

"Where is this Chuks guy or man?"

"He is dead," He says and I chuckle in disbelief.

"So you betrayed and murdered him?"

"Do not put words in my mouth boy," He raises his voice at me.

"How am I supposed to believe my dad is also not a murderer," I interjected.

"Because you asked me to be honest with you and I'm trying my very best to be," He retorts. "I didn't have anything to do with Chuks death,"

I take a deep breath. If he was sincere, then let's face the real issue I'm more concerned about.

"So what about the photo, I know there is something behind it for you to bring it out,"

"Well, there is someone who knows my secret and he is blackmailing me with it, wanting to make me lose the election, so I was just figuring out what to do,"

He is still talking about the election, thanks for reminding me of that. I get to my feet, leaning my palms on the table between us.

"Unfortunately for you, it's my turn to blackmail you and even threaten you," I state. "First, you must return the money to Mr. Ademola, and secondly, you have to step down from the governorship election,"