Chapter 50

We leave Scott's room after he has changed into his casual T-shirt, blue jeans, and sneakers. When we step outdoors, the sun has already set and the sky is blazing with its fire. I glance at my wrist and notice that it is already past seven o'clock.

Scott asks for my key fob as we get closer to my car, signaling he will be the one behind the wheel. I give it to him without hesitation. We get into the car, and as I fasten my seat belt, I inquire,

"So, where are we going?"

"Your father's hotel bar," He responds as he starts the car.

"Why? There are other places we could go "I shrug.

"Why should we go somewhere else when everything is available to us for free?" I roll my eyes and shake my head in disbelief as he lets out.

He switches on the car stereo, and the track "Calms Down" by Rema starts playing. He sways to the beat and sings along, while I keep mute, my gaze fixed on the road as if I were the one driving.

I'm unable to deny that I'm still reflecting on Tracy's words to me. I'm also to blame, and I'm starting to lose the nerve to argue with anyone.

It's no surprise that Dad isn't listening to me talk as much as he is taking my words seriously.

He knows how much I rely on him financially, darn it! I should do something. No matter how much pleasure I had this evening heeding Scott's advice, nothing is going to change my decision about selling my car.

I'm not going insane, I guarantee you. I just want to put things right, doesn't it make sense?

My phone abruptly beeps for incoming calls, jolting me out of my reverie. I check my phone to see it is  Mom.

I look over at Scott and notice that he is still bopping along to the music coming from the stereo. This is probably the first reason he doesn't want me to sell the whip, we've had a lot of fun with it since the beginning of the semester.

I hastily turn down the music volume to answer Mom's call.

"Hi mum," I say.

"Hey, honey," She responds. "How are things going?"

"I'm good, and you?"

"I'm not," She responds, and I gasp in alarm.

"What's the matter?" I question.

"What is the situation with you and your father?" She responds with a question, which makes me feel a little more at ease. I giggle a little at the thought of my father telling on me. He must be concerned that I may expose his secret.

"It wasn't funny," Mom says.

"Sure, ma,"

"Can you just tell me what happened?"

"How come he couldn't explain what happened to you?"

"Are you sending me back to your father?" She seems angered by my word since her voice is sharper than before.

I swiftly react in a cool voice, "No mum, you got me wrong. He told on me, so he owes you an explanation,"

"This is becoming serious, and I'm terrified," She laments.

"You have nothing to be concerned about, mum," I reassure her. "You always say to Olivia and me that doing what is right is never wrong, right?"

"Yeah, but if you need my aid, I can come there," she replies, and I groan. I wish she could come, but I ought to handle this on my own.

"No, mum, I've got this," I say confidently. "Just trust me,"

"Please don't be too hard on him. Regardless of what he did, he is still your father." She answers.