Chapter 10

Finally, I'm back to the gym. Getting down from my motorbike in front of the muscle studio where I train and also work as a part-time fitness trainer, I take off my helmet, hang it on my bike handlebars and start walking in.

Everyone I see around here welcomes me back with either a side hug or handshakes, with smiles on their faces. My phone chimes in the process indicating a message from Tracy asking where I am. I text her back to come to meet me at the gym.

"Namesake," I hear my boss say from the back, the owner of the studio, and I quickly turn around to him.

"Man!" I reply, grinning. I briskly give him a side hug and we shake hands.

"It's nice having you back," He says to me.

"Thank you,"

"Let's welcome back Mike to the studio," He shouts in excitement and the rest in the studio let out some whoops in delight, applauding me.

"Thank you guys, thank you," I shout in reply. "Always know that fitness is never about how much weight you lose, it's about all that strength and confidence you gain,' I encourage and they give me applause.

"We never quit," One of us says as they get back on track.

The studio is where I have been training since year one of my college and now Michael has made me the promotional model for his gym studio and a fitness trainer for beginners.

Most of the girls come to the studio because of me and it has been progressing for Michael, my namesake.

The studio is situated near the school campus, so imperials and none imperials do visit the gym.

Folks are working hard in their activewear and while some are using the gym equipment, others are working out without the equipment.

I am about to make my way to the treadmill when I hear Tracy call my name.

"Hey," I say as I turn around to her. I'm amazed to also see her in her activewear.

"What? I wanna work out with you," She shrugs, replying to answer the looks on my face.

I ask her to use the treadmill and we climb up unto the machines next to each other. We start slow as a warm-up with the preset program.

"So where have you been since morning," I ask as we keep moving moderately on the machines. I haven't seen her with dad today. "I hope you are not scared of Olivia's reproval," I add and she chuckles a little.

"Why would I?" She replies.

"So why didn't you come today?"

"I went to check on my mother," Her answer makes me stare at her, feeling sorry for her.

She is now running faster than me as she has increased the incline of the walking surface.

"How is she?" I ask, not taking my eyes off her.

"She is already losing her hair gradually," She answers and turns off the machine.

My heart sinks, I also stop mine while we make our way to sit on the floor.

"I'm so sorry," I say and she nods okay, looking sad. "I hope she is receiving treatment well," I add.

"Of course," She answers with a bear smile. "Thanks to your dad who provides the hospital bills,"

I roll my eyes in disagreement with her last sentence. I believe she is earning the money she works for by having affairs with him.

If dad is helping, he will do it without anything in return. I wish I could help.

"Did you explain this to him before you guys started the relationship," I ask, looking disturbed?

"Not again," She refuses to answer.

"Come on babe," I urge her. "I just want to know how you guys met please,"

"Well," She then begins to explain. "After my mom was diagnosed with cancer and the doctors are not ready to start her treatment until I pay some bills, I went to see him as you told me before that he is a philanthropist. I told him everything about my mom and he replied that he can be of help if I can also do him a favor,"

I scoff a little.

Damn it. he doesn't even know her.

"I asked him the favor which turns out to be this way,"

"But did you tell him you were dating me?" I interrogated.

"Of course, I told him that I am already in a relationship with you," She answers with a serious look.

"I even lied that you asked me to come to see him,"

"What!" I exclaim in shock. "

"Yeah, but he didn't care," Tracy states, and I shake my head in disbelief.

This makes me start hating dad, how would he?

"He asked me to start with him afresh while I take the blame as he claims he doesn't know about us,"

I keep mute as I am so short on words.

She reaches for my hand and squeezes it for sympathy while I look into her eyes.

"I have told you that you shouldn't take it personally," She adds. "It's a request and not by force. It's my choice that I agree because I will go to any length to save my dear mom,"

"Your dad is not who you think he is," She continues.

Same thing Jeff told me after finding out he is into drugs.

"Tell me more," I finally let out, playing along.

"Let's get back to the machine," She says as she gets up while I do not move, sitting still.

"Come on," She urges. "We should work out what is bothering us," She adds funnily.

I also get up, smiling.

We make our way back to the treadmills and climb them while Michael comes to meet me.

"Your clients have been waiting for you," He says to me.

"Sure, I will start my job fully tomorrow," I say in a requesting way and he nods okay. While he leaves, I start the machine.

"He is into drugs and real estate laundering," She burst out to me and starts running faster.

I shake my head in anger, increasing the incline of the walking surface, and now I am moving faster than Tracy.