Chapter 37

"You will be submitting the printed hardcopy to me and you only have 48 hours to do so," The lecturer declares about the assignment he gave us. "Good day," He adds and starts walking out of the class. Everyone gets to their feet, packing their stuff.

This was the third and last class I attended today, heeding Karen's advice. I can't believe I was even punctual in the three classes and most importantly focused on what we were being taught.

I was also glad I secretly helped Scott mark his name on the attendance.

"How are we gonna do this thing?" One of us asks as an indistinct conversation begins among us.

"We should do joint work," Another person suggests while I bend over forward to tie my shoelaces. "We should contribute some money to the scholars who can help us,"

For my coursemates to be discussing doing joint work means the assignment is a tough one.

"Michael, you have a guest," Hearing that makes me stand straight to see Tolu pointing at Karen's friend, Tobi at the entrance. She wears a dark skirt suit, a button-down shirt, and a pair of flat shoes.

I reach for my backpack to meet up with her while my colleagues continue their conversation.

"Hey," I greet her, getting close to her and we step out of the lecture room. She is taller and thinner than Karen.

"What have you done to my friend?" She yells as she frowns at me while I furrow my brows in confusion. "What have..." She is saying and I cut in.

"Slow down," I say. "What happened?" I inquire.

"Karen hardly skips classes talkless the test we wrote just now," She expresses, looking worried.

"What!" I exclaim in shock. This must be the last test she told me about.

"Things have changed about her ever since you have been hanging out with her," She complains and I roll my eyes. "I might betray her but I care a lot about her," She adds and walks out on me.

Wait, I thought Karen said this babe has a crush on me. There is no way my crush would talk to me that way, probably she was right about caring a lot about Karen.

I reach for my phone in my pocket to dial Karen's number. She doesn't pick up my call, then I dial Maria's.

"Hey," She says the moment she picks up.

"Is Karen at home?"

"Nope, she made some cake this morning before going out and she has not returned,"

"She didn't tell you where she went to?"

"Yeah," Maria answers, and I scoff.

"Thank you," I say. I wonder where she would be.

Trying to think about who to call next, Angela comes to my mind, recalling that she added me on Facebook.

I slide to Facebook to text her.

"Hey, Angela, What's up?"

Waiting for her to reply to my text, I begin to walk to the car park.

"Mike," Becky's voice stops me and I turn around as she catches up with me.

"I forget to ask," She lets out. "How did it go with you and Scott?"

I let out a deep sigh before I respond.

"He just needs some time from me,"

"Oh!" She reacts.

"Thank you for everything," I say sincerely and she nods okay with a smile. As I watch her leave my presence, my phone chimes indicating a message.

It is Angela who texted me.