Chapter 9: Night Operation

At the hydroelectrical plant, James and Marcus search through the lower decks.

James: Have we been through here already? It's hard to remember.

Marcus: I think we have, actually.

James: Well, we'll just do one more sweep—just to be safe.

Marcus: Shit, if you think this is necessary, sure, but I think we've been through the whole lower deck four times now, James and we haven't seen a single infected since the first pass.

James: Like I said, Marcus—just to be safe. We got families here.

Marcus: All right. I'm not complaining. You can never be too careful, though.

James: We finally spread out into the rest of this hydroelectrical plant. This place is going to look really nice. I think we really can make a life here, you know?

Marcus: Shit, it'll be nice if we can get the fucking generator operating. That'll make things much better here, even if we only run this a few hours a day.

James: Yeah, it'll be good to listen to some music while we work....Cassandra's been in a dancing mood lately.

Marcus: You've had a lot of shit on your mind, James. What is it?

James: You know what I've been thinking about a lot lately? Kyle, Sarah, Rose....Shawn....Caleb...Woody....if they're even out there, still alive. I mean, I've tried contacting them over and over again....got a signal...but sometimes I wonder if it's them or just false hope.

Marcus: It's been two years, James.

James sighs.

James: Yeah, you're ri—

Suddenly, a noise is heard behind the two, right around the corner.

James: I'm going to swing around the corner to see what it is. You be ready to fire.

Marcus: Right.

With his flashlight in hand, James swings around his flashlight while Marcus aims his guns, revealing to be Maya.

Maya: Whoa! Shit, you two!

Marcus: Maya!

James: Jesus, we could have shot you! Where's your damn flashlight?

Maya: The batteries ran dry. What are you guys doing back down here again? I thought this area was clear.

Marcus: Actually, we were just finishing up. C'mon. Let's get somewhere with a view.

In Chicago, nightfall, Kyle is woken to Rachel shaking his shoulder.

Rachel: Charlies says it's time.

Kyle nods. Rachel walks over to Charlie, Elijah, and Shawn as Kyle starts to get up, but realizes something heavy was on his shoulder. He looks over to his left and sees that Sarah had fallen asleep against his shoulder. Kyle can't help but stare at her, looking so peaceful. Kyle receives flashbacks of when Sarah would fall asleep on him or next to him, and he couldn't help but admire how beautiful and peaceful she was. Kyle gives Sarah a fond smirk before he places a hand on her shoulder and gently shakes her.

Kyle: Sarah...it's time to go.

Sarah opens her eyes and starts to wake up.

Sarah: Okay....

Sarah realizes she has fallen asleep on Kyle's shoulder.

Sarah: Sorry...

Sarah sits up straighter on the couch.