Chapter 45 - Wildlife

◌ ◌ ◌

* chapter music *- Almost There -Anika Noni Rose

* chapter music *
- Almost There -
Anika Noni Rose

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

____________________

Rosalie POV

12th of May, 1957

With hands in his pockets, I watched Elvis's profile, moving as the flickers of shadows from light green leaves touched his face. Leaves that told the tale of spring in full bloom coming to an end, welcoming the awaiting summer. Just not yet.

Strands of his lush, lit-up hair fell forward, escaping him. As if his hair had its own will, trying to move faster than his strides. Wildly grown grass where at our feet on the walkthrough of sparse spread-out black and white paper birch trees, just tight enough to remind me of a forest.

I stopped in my tracks at the sight of a squirrel sprinting up a tree to my left. Wide-eyed, my eyes made room for a full view of the dark blue shades in my irises.

«What's the matter, honey?» Elvis gazed back at me, puzzled.

«I saw a squirrel..» I whispered, squinting my eyes to travel through branches upon branches seeing nothing but branches.

A breathy laugh left him as he kept up his trackless trail. «Probably long gone by now.»

Unless it had indeed turned invisible, Elvis' hunch seemed the way to go. And so I hurried after him, taking in the wilds of Graceland's untouched land. For his home having stables, guest houses, chicken coops, and a pool somewhere, Elvis chose the surprising option of taking me for a walk on my second full day—saving the tour closer to his house for later.

◌ ◌ ◌

The curve of the fallen tree trunk supported us both. Sweet-smelling pleasant grass lived beneath us, making a softened seat while our backs felt the past life of a tall tree once upon a time. In the middle of what seemed like nowhere, there was sound tranquility to the scene of Elvis turning the lid of the thermos bottle I'd carried in a borrowed tote sack of Gladys'. Finally, I was out of the clothes I'd wanted to change out of for two days straight. Instead, the tote sack accompanied a lent beige sweater. For how green it was, it sure tricked you into thinking you wouldn't need it. But spring weather could do that, look and seem like summer. All while needing a layer or two.

Likewise, Elvis had his comfy ensemble. The snuggly grey sweater tickled his jawline and hugged his arm loosely as he poured me a cup of cocoa. Up bright and early, even for spring, the sun was still cool at touch—and it showed on our skin.

«You know, the last time we had cocoa, we had barely escaped the press. Are you ready to walk towards them tomorrow?» Watching me closely, I knew Elvis still wasn't too sure of how I'd chosen to do this—to tell the world.