Chapter 34 - June

Note 
_____________________________

Note that this chapter is split in half, and isn't as long as it seems. The first half has the original chapter, the other has a bonus part written in honour of June's book today, and the Author's note includes a lengthy talk on June and Elvis' relationship and how it's portrayed in this book.

Happy birthday to Elvis, which would be 88 years old today.

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

_______________________

Elvis POV

The 18th of March, 1957

Graceland was everything it could have been and more. Signing the papers, a place that would bring me peace and joy would soon be my home. I didn't know how long I'd get to stay there before being sent away, but I knew my parents would be safe. We'd have a house with enough space to roam and be able to go outside without the fear of not getting over the doorstep due to fans. Fields of grass, lush trees, and a house beautiful enough that I could see my whole life in front of me when looking at it.

I had sent June a telegram—asking her to meet me at the train station in New Orleans today. Hoping she would show, I would convince her to go with me to Graceland. Show her the home I had bought and reunite her with my Mama as she missed her terribly.

Maybe it was a shot in the dark, but I had to try. I knew I had high hopes, wanting to just whisk her away with the promise of her future home with me. Then talk to her, like Sal told me to. Tell her the truth about the other girls. That I got distracted from time to time.

I knew June was skeptical of my love early on. Last summer, when filming Love Me Tender, I remembered I got real jealous as June said she had a big crush and loved her favorite actor Richard, my co-star. I got so mad, but when I asked her, «how much do you love Richard?» she coyly said, «Oh, about as much as you looove Debra.» She put me in place, but I knew she was on to me already then.

Focusing on June, I pushed every thought of Sal out the window as I gazed at the landscape going by. We were finally in a good place again, and I had to keep it that way. I knew I wasn't completely honest with Sal on the phone. I only told her about bringing a girl home for Christmas. What I didn't tell Sal was how I felt—for Sal.

June wasn't the only girl on my mind, even if I kept telling myself and others so. Sal wasn't a distraction like the others. I didn't think of her because I got lonely on the road. Seeing Sal that night in the chaos at Russwood, I knew I looked at her as my girl. She wasn't, but it didn't stop me from seeing her that way. Maybe by giving my relationship with June another chance, I would remember why I loved her and leave Sal to be my friend again. I had to admit, though, the love I had felt for June was nothing like what I had started to feel for Sal. I didn't know how, but it was different. Sal knew me on a whole other level, and I depended on her.

If Sal even had the slightest of feelings for me, she would never go for me. I could not be trusted and had proven to be that womanizer I once told her I wasn't. In a way, I had a very skewed outlook on myself, and even if it felt harsh, Sal was right. June didn't deserve the way I'd treated her or me, pretending it was all for the press. It was not only a lie I told June but myself. I liked going on a whim and getting the attention of new girls. They were everywhere, and not to put me up on a high horse, but they basically threw themself at me. Sometimes I took the opportunities coming my way. If I didn't act on it, I would still get infatuated. I didn't take these things seriously because it didn't necessarily change how I felt about the girl I called my girlfriend at the time. For them, though, of course, it mattered. I had never told a girl I'd gone steady with, that I was seeing others from time to time. They maybe got the hang of it after a while, but I never told them anything but it being for the press.