Finale S1【Shooting Stars】together they fall 1/3

Warning: This chapter contains Spoilers from Chapter 124+

'Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end;
Each changing place with that which goes before,
In sequent toil all forwards do contend.'

- Sonnet 60, by William Shakespeare

The sound of crashing waves reminded Sae of this poem that had popped up in their exam this week.

He didn't pay it much attention then, but now that he was sitting at his usual spot - on top of the brick wall that separated the beach shore from the empty streets - he couldn't help but remember it.

The red sun in the horizon sunk like the end roll of a movie Sae saw at cinemas. The far-spread horizon turned into a canvas that displayed the scenery like a film.

As Sae stared at the blazing, ever-so slowly sinking, red giant ball of heat in front of him; a wave of memories, fragmented but vivid, played in his mind like a tape stuck on replay. Pictures and sequences, memories of these last few months flashed by; and in the middle of it all: a voice.

'What do you suppose this means, Sae?'
Yui mused as she played with the pencil in her hand. Her clear, blue eyes looked up into his while doing so. The sun shining through the window of the study room set a comfortable, peaceful mood around them.

He never paid much attention to literature and thus he wouldn't know. Instead, he just looked into these cool, calming blue eyes. They gave him peace and comfort; they filled him with freedom and courage. They were slowly but steadily becoming his most precious treasure in this world, and he would be damned, shall he ever lose them.

Sae never replied to that question. He was too lost in the beauty of the moment back then, too wrapped up in his thoughts and ego to care, but he never forgot.
When it came to Yui, Sae never forgot; if he did how come all of his thoughts and memories were full with Yui right now?

«Geh. I won the prize.» Rin's voice from next to him pulled him out of his reverie.

Sae glanced towards the side and he saw the remains of a popsicle - a wooden stick with a large WINNER printed on it.

«Way to waste your luck, Rin.»
Sae said and he crunched into his own one. In his daze, he had been nibbling on it absentmindedly.

«Destruction of evidence!» Rin protested and threw the stick down the beach.

Sae glanced at his little brother. Suddenly a question popped up in his mind.
«Hey, Rin. What do you think about when you play football?»

«? Nothing much. I guess I just think about scoring. Since if I dash to where it looks critical, you'll pass to me.» Rin replied without much thinking.

«... What's 'critical'?» Sae questioned further. He had an idea of what Rin meant but he wanted to hear his brother verbalize and outline his line of thoughts.

«Hm... like where the enemy would panic, and fall apart.» Rin replied after a brief moment of silence. The sound of waves crashing in the background played a soothing rhythm.

Sae glanced at Rin. «You rely on your instincts too much.»

«But it all works out because you pass to me either way.» Rin replied as they watched the sun set. «Anyone else feels lacking to me.» He admitted.

«... What do you plan to do if I'm not there, then?» Sae asked after a moment of silence. There was an unknown feeling in his heart. Rin was reliant, and for better or for worse, Sae was leaving.