Chapter 35: It's Always You

BECCA

If I'm going, to tell the truth, I never fall out of love with Freen. She's the kind of girl who will sacrifice everything to protect you. An intelligent, kind, but a cold person.

I look at her while she's lying down on the bed. She's still as gorgeous as ever. Even though she's unconscious, she looks so pretty.

"When will you wake up, Freen? Tomorrow is our wedding day," I whisper in her ears.

It's been three months, but still no progress. Saint and I are not talking anymore, but he's coming here to check on Freen. Heng is the one processing all her papers while I'm taking care of her 24/7. I want to be the first person she sees when she wakes up. I want to be with her every second while she's fighting for her life.

"You've done enough, Freen. Open your eyes. Everything will be fine now. I'm here." Tears stream down my face again. I can't remember the last time I didn't cry when I saw her. "I can't wait to see you smile again."

"Becky, take a nap. I'll look for her," Heng suggests, but I shake my head.

"It's fine; I don't need sleep." I smile at him and reach for Freen's hand. I gently kiss the back of it and caress her cheek. "Isn't she lovely, Heng? She looks innocent," I ask.

"She's more lovely if she smiles."

I chuckle. He's right, though.

"What are you waiting for, Freen? Open your eyes now," I mutter.

A few hours passed, and I fell asleep beside her, and my head was on her bed. I felt Freen's hand flinch, making my heart almost jump out of excitement. Instead of opening my eyes, I pretend to be numb.

Freen caresses my hair gently and chuckles softly. I miss it. I miss her voice. I wonder if she's smiling right now.

"Are you tired, baby?" she asks with a shallow voice while still touching my hair. "Thank you for staying and for falling asleep. If you're awake, I can't say this to you." I feel Freen moved a little to get closer to me.

Damn it, Freen! Don't move; you're not recovering yet. I thought.

"The night I left, I remembered everything about how I treated you before until the accident. I thought I was going to die back then. I told myself if I couldn't apologize before I died, it would be a worse death. I think that's also the reason why I'm still alive now. It's because I haven't apologized yet." Freen kisses my head and smells it.

I badly want to hug her right now and comfort her for all the things that happened that she had to endure. I wonder how it felt like to suffer alone.

"I don't mind dying for you, baby. All I want is your happiness. If you can't forgive me for everything I've done, it's fine with me. I won't ask you to love me back, but let me love you until my heart stops."

And with that, another set of tears stream down.

"Are you still asking yourself why I hate you, hm?" she chuckles. "I don't hate you. It's the opposite. I was a coward back then. I'm sorry if you have to fight alone. If I could turn back time, I would pursue you again. I will give you the love, time, and effort you deserve. You deserve everything in this world." Freen turns to me and smiles when she sees I am awake. "Now, I hate you."

I laugh at her cute reaction. She hides under the blanket and shouts as if she's embarrassed.

"Hey, don't move too much." I take off the blanket to see that her face is red. I laugh and gently pull her close to me. "It's fine. Don't be shy. I know everything already," I say and kiss her forehead.

"But not the last part." She pouts.

I give her a quick kiss on her lips and gently pinch her cheeks.

"You can tell me everything now; I'm all ears." I smile at her.

"Do you still love me?" she asks without looking at me.

"Are you asking me?" I ask back with a cheeky expression.

"Who else?" She looks away after patting my hand.

"Then look at me," I say and lift her chin to face me. I can say that she's shy, and her face is getting red again.

"Do you still love me?" she asks while looking into my eyes.

I look at her intently and lean in for a sweet passionate kiss. "Yes. I never stop loving you."

Freen smiles at my answer. She looks away again because she's getting awkward. I wonder what's with her. Maybe she's the original Freen who hates cringe things.

"Then, you won't object if I marry you?" she asks again, widening my eyes.

"Is that how you propose?" I ask as I prevent my laughter.

"I haven't proposed in my entire life. So, how would I know?"

I heave a sigh and sit beside her. I reach for her hand and insert the ring Heng gave me before he left last time. He said that Freen chose this and she would like it.

"You will marry me," I prompt.

We both chuckle and hug each other.

"That's not a question. That's an order." Freen laughs.

I know. Why would I ask you if I already know the answer?