Chapter 12: Solaris Cafe

BECCA

"What do you mean I can't come here anymore?" Freen asked.

Early in the morning, I decided to go to a cafe and this is what I caught up on. Freen was talking to Nam and yelling.

"I told you, I can't run the cafe anymore. It's bankrupt."

My eyes widened when I heard it. I immediately ran in their direction.

"What do you mean bankrupt? This is the only cafe inside AU, you don't have competitors." I reasoned out, but Nam let out a harsh breath.

"My mother is in the hospital, so I borrowed money from the bank. After paying all of it, I don't have enough money to continue this business. Besides, I have to take care of my mother," she explained.

"Money? That's your problem?" I asked.

"I know you have lots, Becky, but I couldn't just ask you to give me. This is my business, and I'll close it whenever I want to."

"So you're just giving up? What a scum." Freen looked at her from head to toe and ran.

Nam massaged her temple.

"Nam, you can't blame Freen if she acted that way. Solaris Cafe is her life. The books, atmosphere, coffee. She loves everything in here. You sure you don't want my help?" I asked.

"I can't ask for help from students. I need someone higher. Like stakeholders or something. They are the ones who decide if I can continue this or what."

A brilliant idea came into my head.

The bell rang before I could tell her my plan.

"Don't close this cafe until tomorrow, I have a plan." I rushed to the front and waved goodbye to Nam.

Solaris Cafe is every student's safe place here in AU. It is where they study, eat their favorite food and enjoy the atmosphere.

"Becca, why are you late?" Ms. Saelim's voice seemed sad, but her face was calm. I bet she heard about the cafe.

"I went to the Solaris Cafe and talked to Nam."

"But I heard it's bankrupt," she said.

"We will find ways, miss." I smiled at her and then went to my seat.

Throughout the class, I was busy constructing the sentence I should tell my mother about the cafe. She didn't have many expenses, and investing in this business was a win-win situation.

"Becca, are you going home?" Saint asked as he walked in my direction.

I leaped out of my chair, grabbed my bag, and looked at Saint.

"Help me persuade my mom to invest in Solaris Cafe," I said.

"For? What will I gain if I help you?" he asked as he held tight to the strap of his bag.

"Come on, Saint. I'm your best friend." I pouted, but he deadpanned.

Okay, there's no chance Saint would help me. Should I ask Freen instead? She was not close to my mom, but she seemed to like her though.

"Freen!" I called her name before she could go out of the room.

I passed Saint and sprinted her way. Freen looked at me with knitted brows and tilted her head in thought.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"You look pale," she said.

I rolled my eyes. It might be because of the morning sunlight a while ago since I was sitting near the window.

"Help me convince my mom to invest at Solaris Cafe," I requested.

"As much as I want to help Nam, I can't, Becca. I can't face your mom." She smiled sadly before turning her back and walking away.

She couldn't face my mom for what reason? Did she say something that night when I was drunk? Or she was also hurt because her parents separated because of the affair?

I forgot that Freen could be also affected. I blamed her too early.

"Come on, let's go." Saint intertwined our hands and pulled me outside the room.

We passed Freen and Heng. I looked at the two and mouthed 'sorry' and Heng just signed 'okay'. He then wrapped his arms around Freen and winked at me. I rolled my eyes.

"I'll take you home, and we'll talk to your mom tomorrow, is that fine?"

I nodded then smiled sweetly at him. He pinched my cheeks using his other hand, then we walked again together.

"Mom, we're here!" I shouted and journeyed to the kitchen where mom usually stayed while I was at school.

"Rebecca?" I heard a familiar voice, coming from the living room.

I didn't notice there was a person there when I passed.

I looked at the man who called my name, and my tears poured the moment I saw his face.

"Dad!" I hurriedly ran and hugged him tight.

I didn't know what to feel. I missed him so much. It's been years.

"Dad, I've waited for you." I cried as I buried my face in his neck.

Dad caressed my back, trying to calm me down as I hugged him tight and cried loudly.

"I'm here, I won't leave anymore." He whispered.

After a minute of hugging, I realized that Saint was with me. I looked at him the moment I let go of my father. He's smiling widely while his hands were in his pockets.

"Your boyfriend?" he asked, and I shook my head immediately.

"My best friend. His name is Saint," I said.

Saint chuckled and walked near us.

"I knew him, he's the one who helped me and your mom to reconcile."

I looked at Saint in surprise. He managed to look for my father and persuade them to get back together. I hugged him tightly.

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Saint. I owe you this one."