Chapter 11: Embarassment

BECCA

"Damn it. My head hurts."

I cried out due to the pain I'm feeling inside my head. I didn't know what happened last night, and how did I get home. Did Saint bring me home again? Geez.

"Morning, Rebecca Patricia Armstrong."

My eyes widened when I heard my mother's voice, she was standing in the doorway while leaning and her hand was on her waist.

What did I do last night? Why does my mom look so angry?

"Can't remember what happened?" she asked.

I shook my head and played with my fingers nervously. Mom walked towards me and sat beside me.

"You're wasted, you kept on clinging to the girl."

Girl?

"What does she look like? Straight long hair? Slightly chubby cheeks? Doze-" mom cut my words.

"Her name is Freen. She's the daughter of my previous lover. I didn't know you knew her."

I was taken aback by her words. Her previous lover? Did she mean that Freen's dad was her ex? Or the reason why mom and dad separated? Perhaps, he was my mom's manstress.

"Freen is the daughter of that womanizer?" I asked.

I didn't know how to react. Freen was just her father's daughter, and it didn't she was also like him. But what if she was?

"I know how much you hate him, and me. The good news is your dad and I are getting back together." Mom smiled at me, then caressed my hair.

"He once ruined our family. I would never forgive her for taking advantage of you."

"Hush now. Get ready or you'll be late." She tapped my legs, motioning me to get up.

I slid off and went to the bathroom.

I felt the atmosphere become denser, suffocating my whole system. I turned off the faucet of the shower and leaned my head on the wall, letting the droplets rush down to my face.

Freen's voice kept echoing in my ears. The words she said that day inside the car. I couldn't forget it.

I heaved a deep sigh before looking at the mirror.

I don't know what I should do. Should I give up on her? But she didn't do anything wrong.

At the time I arrived at AU, all the students were inside their classrooms while here I am slowly heading to my room. When I entered, all eyes were on me and Freen was standing in front.

"Rebecca's here. I think you should pair for this activity."

I raised my eyebrows at what Ms. Saelim said. Activity? Pair? Hell no. After my drunk moments last night, she wanted me to pair with Freen.

"Can I choose Saint or Heng?" I asked.

"Why? It's a Gender and Development activity where we promote different genders and stop discrimination between them. The dean asked for your and Freen's cooperation since you two are the most popular students here at AU." Ms. Saelim explained.

Freen was standing there, deadpan. What to expect?

"Okay," I said and went to my seat.

Freen went back to her seat and crossed her arms. Throughout the class, she was listening to our teacher and didn't even flinch. I couldn't focus on our lesson since I was thinking about what would be the activity. Last year, AU didn't participate in this activity so why were they doing this now?

"Freen and Becca, please proceed to the music room. I'll be there in five," Ms. Saelim said before going out.

Saint went to my seat and touched my forehead, feeling as if I have a fever. He sighed and then looked at me.

Okay? What is he doing?

"What are you doing?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Just checking if you will still live until graduation."

I almost raised my middle finger at him. Saint was teasing me again.

"Let's go, Becky." Freen intertwined our hands together and pulled me away from Saint.

I waved goodbye at him using my other hand, and he nodded.

When we went to the music room, Freen immediately let go of my hand, and then looked around.

I wanted to ask her what happened last night, but I couldn't because of embarrassment. What if I did something I shouldn't?

"Why are you looking with that expression? You looked like you have seen a ghost." Freen asked with a cold tone. "Anyways, do you still remember what happened last night?"

I immediately covered my ears so I do not hear her. I didn't want to know. For sure, I told her something cringey or what. The worse was kissing her. What if I aggressively kissed her?

"Stop biting your lips, it's bleeding!" Freen came to me and looked at my lips.

I didn't notice that I was biting it already.

"Let me see," she said, but this time in a soft and sweet voice.

Freen took out her lip balm and gently apply it to my lips.

"I just bought this a while ago. How was it?" she asked, but I didn't answer. I was busy looking at her face so close to mine. Then I remembered, the father of the girl in front of me ruined my family.

"You won't answer?"

I shook my head.

Freen leaned on me and gently licked my lips, making me step back. What the hell?

"What are you two doing inside the music room?!"

Freen and I were startled when someone shouted.

"We forgot to lock the door," I whispered to Freen.

"Why should we lock the door?" she asked.

"What?" I asked back when I realized my previous question.

Freen got a point, why should we lock the door? Goodness, gracious.

"Just kidding, anyway, follow me." Ms. Saelim went inside and sat beside the digital converters. She took out papers that contained lyrics and handed the. to both of us.

"What are these?" Freen asked as she read what was written on the paper.

No more blues? I haven't heard this song before.

"You're going to perform that song at the end of the year. Of course in front of our stakeholders. We want the two of you to give your best. The practice will start after the midterms. As for now, you should rest and take care of your voice."

Freen and I looked at each other. Perform in front of what?