Chapter 7: Preparation

BECCA

"WHAT? DID YOU OPEN THE BOOTH ALREADY? WITHOUT ME?" I snapped at the vice president external of our organization on the phone.

"Rebecca, it's already eight in the morning. You should come here and stop nagging me, for Pete's sake!" She shouted, so I moved the phone away from my ears.

"Who's Pete?" I asked curiously.

"COME HERE, NOW!"

I hurriedly went inside the bathroom and took a quick bath. Luckily, my mom is on the way to our school since she's one of its significant shareholders.

"Are you sure you don't want to walk with me inside?" mom asked.

"No thanks, I don't want to cause a commotion or such. Bye, love you!" I kissed her cheek and went outside the car.

I ran to our booth, and everyone was busy organizing it. I saw Nam helping one of my members, making me smile a bit.

Nam is one of the alumni of this school. She comes here every year to help everyone. Also, she's close to everybody-even to Freen.

"I'm sorry, I'm late." I apologized and bowed a bit.

"You're the president; you should prepare all of these." Nam clicked her tongue and gave me the pamphlets.

I forgot that our booth is face massage, so I have to distribute pamphlets so students will know about our services.

I made a special pamphlet for Freen. A voucher, as a, thank you for bringing me home last time.

I was waiting for her when Heng passed our booth, and he completely ignored me like I wasn't there.

The pamphlet almost ran out, but still, Freen didn't show up. I didn't know why she was late. Someone must be preparing for their booth.

"Freen is here; she's with Saint."

I looked at the gate and saw them entering together. Saint was following Freen, and he kept on chasing her, but she was walking too fast. When they arrived at our booth, I blocked them. She looked at me and then raised her eyebrows.

"For you," I said and handed her the pamphlet I had made only for her.

Freen accepted it, but she passed it to Saint. I quickly snatched the voucher and rolled my eyes at him, then went back to our booth.

Saint shook his head in disbelief and continued to follow Freen.

I'm not curious why they are together. Since they are both members of Journalism, I'm sure they're covering something. The events, perhaps?

"I heard someone got missing last week. I don't know his name, but he's super-rich."

I heard one of my members murmur, so I walked toward them.

"Missing? What do you mean, missing?" I asked.

"Our teacher told us not to talk to strangers. Someone pretended to be a student at AU and abducted a boy. Until now, the school didn't know his whereabouts. The last time our teacher remembered, he wore Cartier Panthere eyeglasses."

I was taken aback when I heard their description.

That guy was the same guy from last week in Freen's car. Did she know something about it? If she did, then why was she investigating it? Was she misleading the cops?

I was about to go in the direction where Freen went, but someone grabbed my arms. It was Heng. How did he come here so fast?

"What are you doing?" I asked, then looked at his hands on my arms.

"Don't do anything stupid, Becca. If you know something, you better shut your mouth." His voice was full of authority, but I didn't flinch.

"If you're her accomplice, you better watch your move." I pulled my arm from him and ran.

I need to find Freen now. Even though I know something, I won't let her get caught.

"Freen?" I was chasing my breath the moment I arrived at the storage room. "Where the fvck are you?" I asked even though I wasn't sure if there were people in there.

I closed the door and opened the lights.

"What the heck, Becca?" Freen ran towards the door and twisted it but it was locked.

I forgot that it's broken. People from outside could only open it.

"Damn it! I have to give these materials to Ms. Saelim!" Freen yelled at me, causing me to step back.

She was so upset.

"Where did you hide the guy last week?" I asked straight to the point.

"Who's 'that' guy?"

"Stop playing dumb with me," I said and pushed her lightly. "The one who has burgundy eyeglasses. He wanted to get out of your car, but you brought me home first."

Freen knitted her brows before heaving a sigh. She then twisted the knob again, but it was no use.

"Sit down, I'll tell you what happened."