Chapter 22: Drunk Text

HENG

A violent slap landed on my face when my mother saw my statement card. I didn't fail, it's just that I was only number two. I was always number two.

"How many times do I have to tell you to be number one? When you entered the Maxims, you were classmates with Saint and you told me that he's intelligent and you can outsmart him, so I transferred you to MeN then here it is. Number two again because of Freen? That girl is smarter than you? I paid many tutors to teach you yet you can't be on top!" My mom snapped, but I remained looking at the floor.

So much pressure, but I need to handle it.

"You're such a disappointment, Heng. You're not my son."

I thought those were the painful words I would hear in my entire life, not until I fell in love with my rival- Freen. I thought my mother's slap would be the most painful not until Freen texted me at three in the morning.

'Becky, can I come over? I love you so much. Please, reply.'

I didn't know what happened between them, since the last time I saw them was weeks ago, at Freen's house. I diverted all my attention from studying since the midterm exam was coming.

I wanted to reply that I was not Becky, and she sent the message to the wrong number but part of me wanted to know what happened to them, so I decided to come over to her house.

The living room was dark since the lights were turned off, and the only light I could see was from her room. I could hear someone sobbing so I hurriedly went inside her room and saw her in the corner, crumpled up while crying. She was holding her phone and her surroundings were full of beer cans.

A solemn tear fell from my eye when I saw her in that position. I wanted to curse Becky right now, but I still didn't know the whole story. If ever she did something to Freen to make her like this, she would regret it.

I remembered the night I was drunk and wanted to text her. It was years ago, but it kept on running in my mind. I wanted to tell her what I feel, but I didn't send it because I was afraid. If I did, were we still be friends or she's going to avoid me? But sometimes I think, if she has a few feelings for me, she would accept me back then.

"Freen, what happened?" I asked while helping her to sit properly.

"Heng, I love her so much." She cried again, but this time in my arms. "I don't know what I should do. I have to stay away from her, but I can't. I love her so much, Heng." She began to weep loudly.

I caressed her back gently and told her to calm down. I didn't know how to help her and a part of me didn't want to.

Freen is not an ordinary university student. She has many connections and is part of a dangerous organization owned by her father. I found it out recently but I decided to keep my mouth shut since I love her and I didn't want to take away her happiness.

When Freen calmed down, she fell asleep in my arms so I carried her to her bed to let her sleep.

"Don't leave me," Freen mumbled and I nodded. She fell asleep again.

"Oh, and here we go again. Destroy me to keep a friend," I sang smoothly while gently caressing her hair.

"Hiding away 'cause I was afraid you'd say no,"

You would never say yes, Freen. Especially to me.

"I wonder if I cross your mind, half as much as you do mine."

You're driving me crazy, but I can't say it to you because you're going to tell me that I'm already crazy to start with.

"If I tell you the truth. What will I lose? I don't know."

Will I lose you? Will I lose this kind of friendship too?

"I wish I'd sent you that drunk text that midnight. I was just scared it would ruin our friendship, but I meant it. I wonder how you would reply."

"Heng?" Someone called my name from behind so I immediately turned around. It was Saint.

We went to the living room to talk since we couldn't disturb Freen.

"Why are you here?" Saint asked.

"She texted me, so I came over. Why are you here?" I asked back.

"Run away with her, Heng."

My eyebrows furrowed at what he said.

"We're not a thing, Saint. And she's in love with Becky. I could not just run away with her, that would be an abduction."

"My father will kill Becky if she didn't stay away from her. You know us very well." Saint's aura changed.

"I can't do it. I'm not like you." I stood up and tried to head to Freen's room, but Saint grabbed my arms angrily.

"We're just the same, Heng. Don't act as if you're clean," he said, causing me to form a fist and punch him in the face.

"We're not the same, Saint. You're in love with Becky to the point that you're going to do bad things just to have her, while I, I am in love with Freen to the point I'm willing to let her go for her to be happy. That's the difference between us!" I snapped. "I'll do anything Freen would ask me. I won't take orders from you."

I went to the bedroom and saw Freen sitting on the bed while looking outside. I bet she heard us.

"Saint's right. Father will kill Becky, so I decided to introduce someone as my girlfriend to leave her alone. I wanted to hug Becky right now. I wanted to go to her place and talk about everything but that wouldn't solve anything. She's weak, she couldn't protect herself." Freen was still looking outside the window. "You're learning martial arts, right? Should I marry you instead?"