CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: Hargreeves, You Have a Visitor

"Hargreeves, you have a visitor," a caretaker in all white announced.

Diego narrowed his eyes. "Who?"

"I ain't your secretary," he replied in a snarky tone.

"Maybe Daddy finally came to say, "I love you,"" Lila retorted while sarcastically jutting out her lip.

"Piss off," Diego mocked her British accent and scooted his chair out to leave. One of the employees escorted Diego into a room to see a face he didn't think he'd see again. He slowed his pace. "Five."

"Hey, Diego." The Kraken pulled out the chair across from him and took a seat. "You look good in white."

Diego rolled his eyes. "About time you showed up."

"How'd you know I'd be back?" Five leaned back in his chair.

"Because that's the kind of shit you pull," he snapped back.

"Where are the others?"

The crease on his forehead frowned. "They're not with you?" He'd thought that they had abandoned him in this time. In a way they had, but not on purpose like the conclusion he jumped to.

"We'll find them," Five softly muttered. "How long have you been here?"

"Seventy-five days."

"Hmm," Five hummed not having much else to say. What he did wasn't intentional but Five felt the heartache of guilt.

"Landed in the alley behind—"

"Commerce and Knox." Diego's eyes lit up as Five finished his sentence.

"You?"

"I got here this morning."

"How'd you find me?"

Five scoffed and pulled out the colored mugshot that he got from Elliot. "Page 16. Disturbed man with multiple knives arrested outside 1026 N. Beckley. That's Lee Harvey Oswald's house. Care to explain?"

"Let's just say, Dallas Law Enforcement has not been supportive of my attempt to stop the assassination of... John F. Kennedy," he whispered.

Five's eyes rolled. "Because it hasn't happened yet."

"And it's not going to happen. Not on my watch." He scooted closer to Five, his metal chair screeching against the tile. "Look, I've been shaving down the bars in my room. Another day or two, and I'll be out of this place, then I'm gonna stop Oswald and save the president. You want in, say the word," he softly spoke to Five.

"Listen to me very closely, you gibbering moron." He leaned in to be sure only his brother could hear his next words. "You are not going to do a goddamn thing."

"Why not?" the long haired man whispered back.

"Because we have to stop the apocalypse," Five answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"No shit. But that doesn't happen for another 60 years." He floundered a hand.

"Not that apocalypse. This is a new one. It followed us. I've seen it. Nuclear war, Diego, in ten days."

Diego softly laughed as he sat back in his chair and crossed his arms. "And I'm the one they locked up, huh?" Five scoffed and leaned back in his own chair. "Fine, I'll play along. What causes it?"

Five gradually rose his voice. "I don't know. Maybe some looney-tuned asshole with a hero complex tried to save the president and screwed everything up."

"So you're saying it worked? I saved the president? I knew I could do it." His eyes smizzed with pride.

Five scoffed again. Of course that's what he got out of that.