Chapter twenty five

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ this chapter contains sexual content. Recommended for 18+ readers.

Ilaria

When does it all end?

When does the betrayal end? When does the travelling end? When does all the hiding end? When does life end?

Mamma taught me to be a kind hearted person, a forgiving person and a giving person but one thing Papà taught me was to never forgive betrayal from your people. It never ends. Once betrayal is done, it leaves a trail of everything nasty. It happens again. But Papà's way of dealing with it was something I never had to do because if someone betrayed us, Papà dealt with it. I never saw what happens but I hear everything.

Six weeks ago, I said I would never return to Seattle because these people betrayed me. I've kept my word and I haven't, six whole weeks without Santos and as the days come and go, I worry more and more.

I haven't seen him but I've spoken to him. He was doing well, hopefully, but he questioned me over and over again regarding my return. I told him that I'd be back soon and when I do, I'll be taking him with me. That's something I did not promise because I had no idea how I was going to do this. My first obstacle was the Conti's. I haven't completely abandoned Ricardo and Alfonso because if I did, they'd suspect and then fly out to New York and hunt for me. I was not stupid, Papà taught me a lot as well as Alfonso. I needed a plan, an appropriate approach to get myself out of a situation I hadn't realised that wasn't good for me. It could be easy only if it were for me but it wasn't. If I was going to save myself, I was going to save Santos too, and every other kid in that pathetic base.

But I've completed every job I've been assigned too in the last six weeks. With hatred, revulsion, and anger. With each killing, I think about how happy and content it made the real monsters here. They took me when I was vulnerable and used me. Everyday for the last six weeks, I debate with myself whether I should just get on a plane and fly to Seattle and shoot Ricardo and Alfonso, they had no idea what I wanted.

A sigh gusts out of my lips as I push the key through the keyhole, the loud clicking sound of the door unlocking resonates across the empty hallway and I was too occupied to even notice my surroundings, I was deep in my thoughts. Too deep that when I walked into my own condo, I didn't prepare myself to be faced with the devil that I haven't encountered for nearly two months.

My heart raced as Niccolò stood in my condo, with his hands in his pockets. He stood there like he was waiting for me to return, and I wondered how long he's been here for because I've been out for most of the day. As I make way through my condo, Niccolò glances. Our eyes connect instantly like a pair of magnet and immediately, an image of our last encounter flashed in my mind. He was freshly showered as always, his aftershave and cologne fills my whole condo. He wore a pair of perfectly fitted slacks and a black shirt he tucked inside his pants. My eyes quickly scans his whole frame, I feel my stomach flip as he stares at me.

"What are you doing here, Niccolò?" I clear my throat, his name sounded foreign to me as it rolls of my tongue because it really has been that long. I wondered where he had gone, because there was no chance he was in America or else he would've broke in just like today. I set my keys on the island table and take my jacket off. Niccolò observes everything I do. "Well? Are you going to speak? What do you want?"

"Where have you been?" He speaks, finally. His voice was deep, it made my thighs burn. Everything about him was unbearable, he was just so perfect with a black heart. I sigh, avoiding his presence like he wasn't here. "You're avoiding me." I didn't answer because he was right, but then, I wasn't intending to hunt him down and talk to him. I don't know why we haven't seen each other for nearly two months but I think it was meant to be. When I didn't reply, Niccolò takes steps closer to me, it too two big strides for him to take to reach me and when he does, he reached for my arm and pulls me back so I could face him. "Answer me, stop ignoring me."