Chapter six

Nico

Life after death should never exist. It does not exist, at least for the dead.

But it does. For the living, it does. When death is met, there is always someone mourning for that loss because it's natural, but to me, it never made sense. Life is evil. Life is everything and evil, there is never anything good about it and if there is, somewhere and somehow down that life, there will be bad.

I've spent most of my life not trying because everything seems to be written for me, and whatever isn't, is something I've yet to let go of. It was easy not thinking about it but moving forward to give the future more. And it was definitely easier said than done.

Exactly what my papà said about raising an empire, the Torricelli Empire. My greatest achievement, my name. He was right, it was easier said than done but once you learn the mafia, it is easy. Once you're good at negotiating, it's easy. When you're are the mafia, it's nothing but light work. It was easy for me, it's how I achieved this power that some people may not like. I don't care if nobody liked it, does me no fucking favours.

I grab the glass of whiskey and saunter to the skyline window. There was always something about the night I could never explain, but to put it in the best words, it was the perfect time to have fun. Right now, all I wanted to do was ruin someone's day, someone that deserves it. Just as I inspect the ground floor of my estate, my attention drifts to the distance, where the city of Rome was more alive. Then, I was interrupted.

"Nico, What are you doing?"

I lift the glass near my lips and tilt it forward until the whiskey slides into my mouth. My throat burns as I swallow the liquid, but the burn was immaculate, but not enough to keep me steady. I think I was losing my mind right now because everything was not going the way it should be written.

"I'm trying to enjoy my whiskey but with your bickering, it's impossible." I say. When there was silence behind me, I assumed that he had left but when I glance over my shoulder to check, he was still here. "Go bother someone useless, someone like your wife."

"What the fuck Nico?" He piped again. I clench my jaw and look away, he walks towards me. "What the actual fuck Nico?"

"What do you want Stefano?" I sigh, walking away from him and to my liquor tray. Stefano follows me.

"Have you any idea what's going on?" He asks, words of frustration spews from his mouth as he asks. "Your Tuesday's, Wednesday's and Saturday's have been cut lose. They're all dead. Nico, we've lost millions. Fucking millions!"

"What have you found Stefano?" I ask nonchalantly, my hands were hurting because of the amount of restraint I put in them from breaking this whole room. Stefano's silence was irritating me even though he wasn't silent for much longer.

"Luis Romano is dead, Bernardo is dead. Davide from last month is dead too. Shipment has stopped because of their deaths, we got nothing and our supply has been cut off. I just checked our accounts, it's not looking good." Stefano accentuates. I grip on to the glass and release it on to the tray, I wanted to ruin this room but there was no point. It wasn't going to get me an answer. I push my hands in my pockets and turn to face Stefano. Anger heats him, just like it does to me however, Stefano was shit at controlling it.

"I want to know why all my associates are dying after sealing a deal with me." I say, anger swells within me. I sounded nonchalant but deep inside, I was in rage. And all that rage was trapped in my fists as I squeeze my palms, hard in my pocket. "Who is killing them Stefano?"

"Bruno is already on it and I will look further into it tonight. Bruno managed to get the guest list from the conference at Portofino, Angelo invited anyone and everyone. So we can't determine anything yet."