Safe & Sound

My eyes flung open.

Where am i..?

Slowly, i felt around the area, immediately wincing in pain.

Right... Xyla beat the hell out of me. How am i alive..?

I was laying down on the cold floor, with a jacket laid across my chest and arms.
Wincing through the intense pain that flowed through out my body, i struggled to get up into a sitting position. It was dark all around, and my eyes were having too much trouble adjusting. I did a quick survey of the area, obviously realizing that i probably was not alone here, when my gaze locked on a figure sitting across the cavern from me, his blonde hair covering his eyes as he was looking down at his feet.

"Ro..."

Startled, his head shot up, his ocean blue eyes resting softly on me. He quickly reached for his hood, but stopped just before pulling it up, realizing hiding anymore was probably pointless.

"You remember, don't you?"
His cool voice echoed softly across the small cave we were in, apparently hiding out.

Slowly, i nodded, furrowing my eyebrows in sadness as the memory of the day he left me flowed easily through my mind, no pain following.

It fell silent and his gaze had returned to his feet.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered as he brought his knees up to his chest, hiding his face in them.

He was dressed in dark blue jeans, a navy blue long-sleeve shirt that had a hood attached, and black Vans.
And i could assume that the jacket sprawled across me was his also.

"Don't be sorry..." I softly spoke.
"You had no other choice."

"No! D-don't do that." He growled, slowly raising his head from his knees, but his bangs still covered his eyes.

I raised an eyebrow in question, staying silent until he decided to look at me.

After a few minutes, his head raised a tad more, just enough to gaze at me.

I remembered that look... The pain his eyes could hold; the only place i could ever see that emotion from.

"Just... Don't do that. Don't make excuses for me. Don't say it's okay, because we both know it wasn't and it never will be." His voice echoed across the walls of the cavern, resonating with the same level of anger and disappointment.

Hesitating at first, i decided to crawl over to him. His head hung low again, probably because he was experiencing a ton of emotions at once and was being heavily overwhelmed.

"Roxas,"

He took his time meeting my gaze.

"You can't keep such a strong hold on your past, or you'll lose sight of your present."

I watched his face as his expression changed; his eyes softening and his frown lifting, simply morphing into a blank expression.

He had a bad habit of doing that...

In seconds, i was squished up against hard muscle.

He was hugging me..?

His hands slid firmly onto my back, locking me in his embrace. I was propped up awkwardly on my knees, leaning over him into the hug.

"You haven't changed..." He softly exhaled, and i could actually hear the smile on his face.

His smile was contagious, so cute and happy, that you just had to smile back, it wasn't an option. Just the thought of it was enough for my lips to crack up in a smile.

Silence fell, and he just continued hugging me while i leaned awkwardly over him. Eventually, my back and leg muscles gave out; still in tremendous pain from my previous beating.

"Xena!" Roxas gasped, but hugged me tighter, keeping me from slipping. Carefully, he guided me into a sitting position on his lap facing him, resting my head against his chest. His arms cradled me firmly.

"I've missed the gentle throb of your heartbeat."

He let out a little "ha", and i heard the pace of his heart pick up a little faster as i spoke.

"We need to get you out of here and to a hospital as soon as possible, you've lost too much blood." He replied awkwardly, seemingly dodging my previous comment.

Furrowing my eyebrows, i just gave a slight nod.

How come i knew we couldn't just have a smooth and simple reunion?