The Apple Never Falls Far

"Maybe boots were a bad choice of footwear."

I had forgotten how every time we'd venture out to the mall, we'd stay for hours, walking into every store, talking, and getting snacks.

"And whose fault is that?"
Steven teased, an amused grin hanging across his lips.

"Gimme a break, i'm in pain!" I groaned.

"I thought you won that fight." Sean chimed in, laughing briefly.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion and slight worry as i wracked my brain, trying to figure out which fight he was referring to.

"Oh!" I squeaked, realizing he meant my little squabble with Taylor.
"Yeah i did, but i threw my shoulder and leg out a bit," messaging my own shoulder fakely as i spoke.

Looking back forward as we continued to meander across the tile floors of our favorite in door mall, i finally noticed how many unwanted eyes were focused on me.
The mall was also a very popular hang out spot for all the other local high schoolers to chill with their friends on weekends.
Making no attempt to hide the irritated glare that now hung on my face, i groaned internally as i caught the eye of one of the creeps after he had finally managed to yank his attention from skimming down my body; primarily, my ass.
My hands clenched into fists at my side, practically itching to slam into one of their perverted jaws. I was aware that i wasn't bad-looking, but i absolutely loathed being checked out by random, thirsty teenagers. I'm a lot more than just a piece of eye-candy.

"I'm about three seconds from smashing that kid's face into a table." Sean piped up, breaking my violent train of thoughts as we had finally made it fully across the mall's food court.

My hand shot to cover my mouth as i started up into a small fit of uncontrollable laughter at the fact that he not only noticed the same thing i did, but also had the same reaction i did towards it.

"I was thinking-... The exact same thing-..." I managed between laughs as he stared at me like i was insane.

I had a darker but still obviously blonde head of hair, which was dyed- not natural, and bright, blue eyes. A friend of mine had used to say he could see flecks of gold in them whenever i become passionate about something, whether it be passionately violent or passionately affectionate, but that always seemed incredibly far-fetched, and i'd never seen it for myself so i never believed it to be true, and he was the only one to ever mention it. Then again, i'm not passionate about a whole lot of things, so there's honestly no telling. I hadn't seen that friend in years though, and i couldn't manage to remember his name or what he looked like, oddly enough. Not like i remember much from my childhood anyway.

Unlike my mother, i was a bit on the shorter side, standing at about five feet and four inches, so i usually wore plain black boots with a little heel to make me appear a little closer to the height i'd like to be. My weight was smaller to match, as i was born with a small frame, but hell, did i still manage to pack one hell of a punch. Heh.

"Emma wants ice cream," Steven announced, turning his torso slightly to look back at Sean and I.
"Anybody else want some?"

"Uh- heck yeah!" I replied almost a bit too eagerly, my eyes wide open in excitement.
I loved ice cream way too much.

Smiling at my response, Steven changed course and began leading the pack towards the center of the mall where all the goodies like cakes, cookies, pretzels and ice cream were sold.

----------------------------------------------

"It was good seeing you again, bro. We should do stuff like that more often."

It was Sunday night, and Steven had just brought Sean and i back home after spending all of Saturday with him, his wife and children. The day of relaxation, junk food and late night video-gaming was such a nice change of pace from the usual monotony.

"You got it, kiddo." Steven responded as he messed up my hair with one hand.
"Now go get some sleep, you have school tomorrow. I love you." He added, hugging me tightly.

I rolled my eyes playfully as i hugged him back.
"I love you too, bro."

As i practically drug myself over to my bedroom and into my bed after saying goodnight to Steven and Sean, i realized that this weekend had been pretty... Normal.
No weird figures, no dreams the past night, and no paralyzing thoughts... Not to mention, a lot of my cuts and bruises had already healed thanks to being a bit more advanced than the rest of humanity. "Gifted" as my mother used to call it.

Shrugging as i decided the peace was probably only momentary, i closed my eyes, allowing the temptation of sleep to finally take me.