Chapter 39

Max's POV:

Dropping off Caden and Diego was depressing. The reality that today's good day will most likely turn bad was creeping up. Ever since my mother found out about their relationship, life at home has been hell. Hector moved to the front seat and gave me a defeated look. It was a good day, too bad it couldn't last. I slowly began the drive home and we didn't even have the energy to talk. We knew drama was going to happen, it always does.

"Man, just go straight to your room. I can deal with whatever bible shit your mom says," Hector said with a sigh. "I know her and my mom already talked today."

"You shouldn't have to have a talk everytime you step foot in the house. It pisses me off."

"As long as she doesn't find out about you and Caden, I'm fine."

That's another thing that makes me mad. Right when I was feeling comfortable with being out with Caden, my mother finds out about Hector and Diego and I can't do shit with Caden. Thankfully, no one from school has said anything since Caden said something to Sara. I was paranoid. My mom is willing to kick me out of the house of she finds out. Unlike Hector, I didn't have anywhere to go. I mean, I'm sure Diego's mom and Daniel would take me in, but I wouldn't want that. I don't want to be anyone's burden.

"Let's go in," Hector said and got out of the car.

We slowly walked up to the front door and I opened it up for us, walking inside and locking the door a second later. Right away, my mother appeared with her arms crossed and a frown on her face. She completely ignored Hector's presence and focused her eyes on me, her eyes squinting just a bit. My father showed up a second later with a smile and was oblivious to what was happening. My mother didn't tell my father why Hector was moving out, she only told him that his mother wanted him back. I was sure that if my father knew the true reasons he wouldn't let it happen. That's exactly why my mother hasn't told him. I told Hector to tell my father but he refused.

"Hello, boys. Did you have fun? How are Diego and Caden? That's who you were out with, right?"

"Yeah," Hector said, glancing at my mother who glared at him.

"We should have them over for dinner, honey," my father said and placed a hand on my mother's shoulder.

"No, not while Diego is making those terrible decisions."

Hector opened his mouth but my father beat him to it saying, "Don't say such things. Let him be. It's how God created him."

My mother scoffed and argued, "God didn't create that. That is the Devil's doing."

"That's my best friend, mom," I said before I could stop myself.

"He's one of the nicest people I've met. He's not being influenced by the Devil," Hector added.

"Let's calm down," my father said, confused as to why we were getting so mad.

"He's a terrible influence. I'm sure him and that other boy are devil worshipers."

"Leave Caden alone, mother."

She looked at me, a bit shocked I said something regarding him. Her face became blank and I could tell her mind was running a mile with thoughts. I felt my palms get sweaty but I held her stare. Her face slowly became one of anger and I felt myself become smaller in my spot. My father was now looking between us and Hector could do nothing but stay silent by my side.

"What have you done?" My mother suddenly said, pointing an accusing finger at Hector. "Did you and that disgusting kid influence my son?"

"Don't talk about him that way! We didn't do anyting!" Hector yelled back. "You're the only one causing issues."