Chapter 4

Caden's POV:

I grabbed my lunch with one hand and held my apple in the other as I made my way to the lunch table. I was still processing the fact that Diego talked to me in first period and I truly wasn't sure if I was allowed to accept the invitation or not. Max was clearly glaring at me but Hector had a friendly smile on. Because I was so shocked I didn't answer Diego right away and now he is waiting for my response. I wanted to go but again, I wasn't sure what to do and I didn't want to make Max even more upset. 

With a heavy sigh, I dropped my food down on my table along with my backpack and sat down. I usually got here first before Diego and his friends so I didn't have anything to do for the first five minutes of lunch. The food was bland but it satisfied my hungry stomach for a bit. My head was spinning on what to do and I felt a slight headache coming up. Laying my head down on my backpack, I closed my eyes and tried to focus on nothing to make the headache go away. However, that went out the door when I felt people sitting down at my table. With a sigh I lifted my head but my eyes widened when I saw Max sitting there with Charlie by his side.

"Uh. . . hi?"

"What did you do?" Max asked, his eyes studying my every movement. "I don't trust you."

"Excuse me?"

"He means," Charlie began and nudged Max, giving him a look. "A certain group had plans to go to the lake this weekend and then we find out that their plans suddenly changed. Then, Diego apparently invited you to come with us! So, what's up?"

I did my best to avoid Max's stare and instead focused my attention on Charlie. It was weird to think that I once disliked her but it was clear that she was an amazing friend to both Max and Diego. She left Sara for a friendship that was more worth her while, something I should've done a long time ago. I admired her and how much she loves herself and her friends. True friends, she was known to have many of them. 

"I just. . . I had a talk with them and told them to not go. They agreed and now the lake is yours for the weekend. Diego invited me on his own free will, I wasn't expecting it either."

They both stared at me for a while before Charlie got up and with a smile she said, "I hope you come this weekend. Now, I have to meet Diego and Hector at the library because they can't find the book they need. We'll be back though so give Max some company!"

Max's eyes widened but before he could speak she was out of the cafeteria. She was a quick one and while a few months ago I would've enjoyed some alone time with Max, now I feel bad. It was clear he didn't want to be here with me and I was close to telling him that he didn't need to stay but he glared at me as if he knew what I was going to say.

"You didn't tell anyone about. . ." he trailed off and looked down at the table, scraping off some chipped paint. "Why?"

This was the first time he was speaking about us since what went down. Immediate memories came to my mind and I had to look away before it became obvious that I was thinking about them. I almost reached out and grabbed his hand but I stopped myself and put my hands under the table and fiddled with my fingers. I wasn't worried about coming out if it meant I could be with him. I was worried that he didn't want to come out and I would die before outing anyone else. I learned from my mistake and I would never do such a thing ever again.

"I made a mistake with someone that was actually becoming my friend and possible brother. I won't make the same mistake with the guy I. . . have deep feelings for."

"Have?"

I cleared my throat and looked down, saying, "You ended it but I can't just switch off my feelings."

"It's been two months."

"Are you saying you're over me?" I asked, finally looking directly at him. "Say it if it's true. Say you're over me. Have you been with someone else? Have you-"

"That's none of your business," he interrupted me, giving me a hard look. "Look. . . You should just move on, Caden."

I actually couldn't believe he was telling me this. I knew I fucked up, I knew what I did. But I was trying here. I've never cared for people before but I do now and I was doing all that I could. Sure, I would love to have a family relationship with Diego again, but what kept me going was the possibility of Max being there at the end. He was my surprisingly happy ending and I was desperately trying to reach him.

"Whatever," I said with a scoff and got up, grabbing my things and food. "I hope you have fun with whoever it is you're with."

"Caden-"

"Don't, Max," I snapped and threw the food away, walking out of the cafeteria and ignoring his calls.

"Caden! I'm trying to talk to you!"

Fellow students who saw me knew I was pissed from the look on my face and they were quick to leave the hall. Before I knew it, the halls were empty and all I heard was Max angrily calling out my name and walking quickly. I was angry though and I wanted to get out of there before I did something stupid. We all know what my anger could do.

"Hey! Would you stop walking away from me?!" Max yelled, grabbing my arm and pushing me to look at him. "Are you serious right now? You're angry at me? You can't just-"

I couldn't help myself. Maybe it was the anger, maybe it was desperation, or maybe it was just how stupid I could be that compelled me to grab him and kiss him. Whatever it was, it was strong and it made me not think of the consequences of after the kiss. I didn't think of the possibility that I had just destroyed whatever ounce of tolerance Max had for me or if he would completely hate me after the kiss. I was just tired and desperate to have him against me once again. It's been too damn long and I missed how he would try to act like he didn't want to kiss me but he'd melt within my touch not even a second later. I missed how he would be the one to pull me closer to him. I missed how I would first initiate the kiss but he was the one that made the kiss deeper. I just missed him all together.

Of course, I began to panic when he pulled away. Hundreds of apologies were ready to spill from my mouth but he shushed me and looked around the empty hall before pulling me into an empty classroom. He kept the lights off to make it seem like no one was in here but it was still light enough in the room to be able to see each other.

"You can't do that again in public! What if someone saw?!"

"I'm sorry, Max. I just miss you."

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair in frustration. I didn't dare speak another word or move because I knew he would break if I did. Right now he just needed to think and me doing something stupid would lead him to do something I definitely didn't want him to do. I felt like a toddler waiting to hear his consequences of his actions.

"Come to the lake tomorrow and if you behave, I'll see what happens from there," he quickly said and walked towards the door. "I haven't been with anyone, by the way."

I watched and let him leave and while I hated to see him go, I couldn't help the smile on my face from hearing those last words. He missed me. And of course, he knows I miss him. This weekend will settle things and show where I stand with both Diego and Max. I just hope to God that I don't do anything stupid to fuck it up.

God knows how much I need this trip to turn good.