Chapter 34

Caden's POV:

I guess you could say I was a bit. . . worried for Diego. Well, worried wasn't exactly the word either. It was more of feeling a bit bothered, or even a bit uneasy. It wasn't helping that Max clearly knew what was happening but he still refused to tell me. He was acting weird and avoiding my eyes, as if he knew I was going to question him the moment I had a chance. He even shoved a piece of his cupcake in my mouth the moment I was about to ask him a question.

"Max!"

"Oh look at that!" He desperately yelled and pointed at nothing in particular.

I hopelessly released a sigh and slouched in the seat of the car. Noticing my slight frustration, he gave me an apologetic smile and reached over to grab my hand in his. He hand always felt perfect in mine and while I loved holding his hand, we rarely showed this much affection. We were definitely the arguing type but it wasn't to the point that the relationship was unhealthy. It was just who we were with each other and arguing honestly led to us feeling a certain way about each other.

"Look, it's just complicated right now. But I promise, you'll find out soon enough."

"I find that hard to believe," I couldn't help but grumble and he chuckled at my childish behavior. "Just tell me one thing."

"Hmm?"

"Is. . . Diego going to be okay?"

"Aw, how sweet. Look at you playing brother."

"It's not playing," I said and looked away, my gaze landing on the bakery that was across the street.

"Like I said, you'll find out soon enough. There is something I had to talk to you about?"

"Is that why you canceled our movie date? Because I really did want to go see that movie."

He rolled his eyes and grabbed my chin, turning my head towards him and placing a quick kiss on my lips. I, obviously, wasn't satisfied with just a small thing so I held the back of his neck with one hand to pull him closer before he could get away. It's not my fault, his lips were addicting. But only I could become addicted to him, everyone had to watch from the sidelines in misery at the fact that they couldn't have him. He was mine.

"Caden! I need to breathe!" he mumbled against my lips, a chuckle escaping past mine.

He backed away as soon as I released my hold on the back of his neck and he took a deep breathe. I knew I could take his breath away. He smacked my arm and gave me a small glare as if he knew what I was thinking. The smirk on my lips also probably gave it away.

"As I was saying, before you assaulted me, I have something serious to tell you."

"What's wrong?"

He ran a hand through his hair and sat in thought for a second longer before he spoke and said, "My mom is becoming a bit worried. About my friendship with Diego and, well, she's spoken a few things about you."

"I'm guessing those things are good?"

He chuckled at my sarcasm and said, "It would be a miracle if she spoke kindly about anyone besides my dad. But anyways, my mom is noticing things and I just don't want her to. . ."

"Find out?"

He looked down in shame and I cupped his cheek in my hand, making him look up at me. Damn, he was adorable. If he always looked like this, vulnerable, I'd be weak in his hands. He made me want to do anything and everything for him. As long as he'd always look at me like that. Of course, I'd actually never tell him any of this shit. It was embarrassing enough to be thinking these thoughts.