Chapter 2

Two months after the outing

"Hey, Diego!"

"Hi," he said and slammed his door shut.

I winced and groaned lowly. My father, standing behind me, burst with laughter as he found my misery funny. It's been two months since Diego was forced out of the closet and the most he's said to me is 'hi' or 'move' because I was in his way. His mother still won't look at me, but I think she's determined to stay mad until Diego finishes being mad. My father only laughs at my failed attempts to lighten the situation, but he is being strict with me.

The worst part is that I can't even blame any of them or be mad.

School sucked ass. I didn't talk to any of my old friends. Some of them were homophobic, and the ones that weren't were not talking to me because of the cruel joke I made. Victor managed to worm his way back into that friend circle, so we don't talk anymore. I've seen Victor try and talk to Diego a couple of times but in secret. Max was always there to make him back off, though.

That was the other fucked up part of my life right now. Max cut off all ties with me, and I mean that seriously. He doesn't look at me, blocked me from everything, including my phone number, and when we make eye contact, he rolls his eyes and looks away in anger. It pissed me the hell off. I tried to talk to him on many occasions, and I had planned to speak to him when I got back to school, but I was surprised to see that the teacher separated Max and Diego from Victor and me. Diego and Max now sit with Hector and another student. Victor sat with Sara and two friends of hers. I sat with some random students, but I didn't mind. Sara was accepted into the popular group, or whatever you want to call it. It fits, though, since they were all bitches. Diego, Charlie, Hector, and Max have no relationship with her.

Again, I don't blame them.

Sara was acting cruel towards them and would call Diego a pervert and even a rapist. Even though it was cleared up that Diego wasn't a desperate guy trying to get at Victor repeatedly, rumors still spread around that he was. Before Victor and I stopped talking, I wanted to tell him to tell everyone to stop saying that shit. I told everyone, and I thought he was too, but then I found out he wasn't saying a word. The son of a bitch was keeping his mouth shut nice and tight. He only spoke when necessary, but everyone saw how different he was.

It was difficult for me to find my place in school again. At first, I'd just sit in a classroom or walk around. Then I found out about some guys picking on Diego at his lunch table, so I went to handle the situation. That was the first time Max had talked to me since that day. He begged me not to fight, and Diego pleaded with him. The guys left, and I sat at the table next to theirs. They were content with me sitting there because I wasn't exactly with them. I was playing bodyguard, but it was a step closer to them.

"Go get ready for school," my father demanded.

With a sigh, I dragged my body back to my room and changed my clothes. My room was clean now, so it was easy for me to find clean clothes. As I said, my father was being strict with me now, and during my suspension, he made me deep clean my room and do all the chores in the house. I was okay with it; it gave me something to do instead of daydreaming about a certain someone all day.

Walking out of my room, I went downstairs to the kitchen, where Christina was busy cooking. Without a word, she passed me a plate of eggs and bacon and calmly set aside two other plates with food for my father and Diego. It wasn't long before they both appeared and sat down, eating away at the food and laughing here and there with Christina. I looked at the time and mentally sighed. Any minute now and...

"Knock, knock!"

"Hey, Max! Hello Hector," Christina greeted as well as my father.

I don't know how, but they've been joining us for breakfast daily. It shocked me because Max's mother disagreed with his friendship with Diego, but his father demanded that it was okay. His mother practically banned Diego from their house, so he can only go when she's gone to church or something. She even made Max carry around a bottle of holy water until he demanded how ridiculous the whole situation was, and his father let him leave the bottle at home. Usually, he'd be gone on a business trip by now, but he decided to stay for a while, primarily because of what happened.

"So boys, it's the weekend after today. Any plans?" My father asked.

"I was hoping to take Diego to the lake. He bailed on me the last three weekends," Max said, giving Diego a look.

"Honey, why don't you go?"

"I just. . . I heard certain kids from school were going to go. I rather avoid an ugly situation altogether," he mumbled.

With a single look from my father, I knew what that meant. This was my chance. I've given them space and time and played bodyguard. This can be the ticket to getting at least a conversation from them. I might even gain a small smile from Max again.

"I have to go," I said and put my plate away.

I quickly grabbed my things and went out the door, walking to school and searching for a friend group. I heard Sara's loud laughter and went down the hall, and sure enough, they were standing by Victor's locker. Sara no longer had to take the bus because one of the girls from the group picked her up so she wouldn't seem totally 'lame.' Victor was the first to notice me, and the rest of the group soon saw me. They immediately got tense but tried to seem like they didn't care.

"Well, look who it is. Wassup, Caden! Finally tired of standing up for the twinkle toes?"

"Shut up, Zack," I snapped, which caused him to glare, but I ignored him and focused my eyes on Victor. "You guys going to the lake this weekend?"

"That is the plan."

"Don't," I demanded. "I don't want to see any of you guys there this weekend, got it?"

"Or what?" Zack asked, stepping forward with a couple of the other guys. "You think you can just come up to us and tell us your demands? You aren't shit anymore, Caden."

"We both know you won't do shit to me, Zack. If I see any of you there, I will beat your ass. So, calm that fat ego of yours and back off. You don't want a round two, do you?"

They stayed silent and looked at Victor as if to ask what they would do. Looking at them now, I couldn't believe I was one of them. I'd also look at Victor, seeking permission or approval. How disgusting and sad. He wasn't God or shit; he was like us. A kid who also has problems, no need to put him on a pedestal and make him king of the school.

"We won't go this weekend. But next weekend is ours."

"I don't give a shit," I spat and walked off, turning the corner and nearly freaking out when I almost bumped into Max and Diego. What a way to seem cool.

They saw me, and Max immediately wanted to grab Diego's arm and pull him away. I stood frozen, not knowing what to do or say. I acted with confidence just a second ago. Where the hell did it all go? Damn it. I knew I should speak, stop them and try and say anything.

Just speak.

Go, Caden!

Speak!

"The lake is all yours this weekend," I quickly said and walked off.

I felt my heart beating away out of nervousness, but at the same time, I felt slightly proud. Sure, I left them confused, but I did it, and that's what counts.

Yeah, that's what counts.