Chapter 23

Caden's POV:

I'm not a stalker. I swear I wasn't. But the only way I could talk to Max tonight was actually face to face. Mostly because on bible nights his mom takes his phone so they could only focus on the lord and the lord only. If only she knew what her son did behind closed doors.

"Yes, mom! Thank the lord!" He yelled and closed his door.

I was hiding behind the tree next to his window and I was about to throw a rock in his room through the window but Hector entered his room right when I was about to throw it. I hid again and tensed up when I heard their front door open. Both his mother's and father's voice was heard and I silently cursed when I realized they were going to make their way to the car. . . Which was right beside me. I could hear his mother complaining about how Max should take the lord more seriously and how she was worried that he was doing things behind her back. Boy, she had no idea.

"I'm sure he's just being a regular teenager, honey."

"I don't think so. He's been acting funny ever since that friend of his went against God and decided it was okay to be with other men. He supports it!"

"Honey, let's just go before it gets more late. Let me lock the door."

With both their backs turned to me I quickly ran behind the car and hid behind some bushes. I just needed them to leave so I could go and see him. Plus it was freaking me out that a bug or spider could be crawling on me. The sound of their car turning on ringed in my ears and the lights of the car flashed brightly a moment later. His dad pulled out the car and they were off, driving down the road and making a right turn to head towards town. With the cost clear I quickly got away from my hiding spot and dusted myself off in case a bug got on me or something. I quickly made my way to the front door and rang the doorbell, hearing Max yell at Hector to get it. 

"Shit," I mumbled and debated on whether I should hide or not. 

To Hector it would seem weird that I'm visiting Max so late but I didn't have a chance to make up an excuse because Hector opened the door a second later. He greeted me with a small smile and a nod of the head, opening the door a bit wider for me to enter without questions.  I slowly walked in as if I was walking into a trap and he chuckled before closing the door. 

"It's safe," he joked and locked the door again. "Max is in his room."

"You seem weirdly happier than usual," I noted and watched as he shrugged and walked off to his room. 

'What a weirdo,' I couldn't help but thought.

I looked around the house with a slight smirk when certain memories formed in my head. The house looked exactly the same since the last time I was here, though the last time I was here wasn't exactly a happy memory. I winced as I remembered how bad my cheek stung after the slap Max gave me. I went a little crazy after our split. I stood outside his bedroom door and took a deep breath. I was a little nervous now but I couldn't back out now. 

"This is the part where you knock."

I jumped and looked at Hector with wide eyes. He chuckled and shook his head at me. I didn't even noticed he came out of his room and he was dressed up now. He looked about ready to go out and I wondered how Max's mother would react to that. He looked at me with a small smirk and glanced at the door. Before I could react he quickly knocked on the door and ran away, waving goodbye at me while I stayed in my spot with my mouth agape. He's a fucking child.

"Hector, how many times have I told you to stop knocking on my door and running away!"

Max gasped as soon as he saw me and his immediate reaction was to slam the door closed in shock. I couldn't help the smirk that appeared on my face. He was wearing a simple undershirt with sweatpants and his hair was a disaster. Yet, he still looked handsome. He opened the door leaving a small crack so he can peep outside and when he saw me again he shut the door again.

"What are you doing here?" He asked through the door. "Are you crazy? My mom will be home soon!"

"I had to see you and Hector let me in."

"I'm going to kill him," I heard him grumble and he opened the door a second later, letting me pass with a sigh. "Come in before my mom gets here and sees you."

I walked into the room and awkwardly stood in the middle of the room looking around. Everything was the same. Max watched me from the door with his back leaning against it, his eyes watching every little movement I made. I turned to him and he stared at me, his eyes looking serious and even. . . a bit sad. 

"Came all this way to just stare?"

I walked up to him and watched as his head leaned back against the door so he could look up at me. He was truly beautiful, a work of art that I had ruined. Yet the beauty always remained there. He was my treasure but like all treasure, it can be taken. I didn't want to think of him being with someone else, I couldn't. My hand caressed his cheek and I was slightly shocked that he didn't pull away. Instead, his hand reached up and held my hand that held his cheek. 

"Max, I need you."

I enjoyed the slight shiver he got when I spoke his name. His eyes shined with a passion that he only had for me. I live to see those passionate eyes. It's like he was destined to meet me to calm me down, to show me that I can be happy in this fucked up life of mine. He kept me sane. 

"Kiss me?" He whispered and his arms gently ran up my arms to my neck. "Please."

I leaned down and froze when his breath hitched in his throat. He licked his lips and I slowly moved forward until his lips touched mine. His kiss was a drug, the sweetness easily making me weak. All the kisses he gave me were full of passion, never fake or disappointing. He pulled me closer by my shirt and my hand grabbed his waist, my fingers snaking under the undershirt but remaining at his waist. It was enough to get him weak at the knees and I held him up. I loved how weak he was from my touch, like how he was completely consumed with it. He pulled away first and laid his head on my chest, taking a deep breath and clutching my shirt. I pulled him against me, missing how he felt against me. Our relationship wasn't just about the sex now, it was turning into love. His sniffles reached my ears a second later and on instinct I pulled him in closer. 

"I miss you," he sobbed and clutched my shirt harder. "You're driving me crazy."

"Baby, look at me," I said and gently lifted his chin up. "I'm sorry. I can't tell you that enough so I'll tell you it everyday."

"You chose him, Caden," he said and I watched in misery as another single tear fell from his eye. "You went to him and I just stood there. I reached for you."

"Listen to me, Max. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, means more to me than you. I know I keep fucking up but I never mean to hurt you. Max, I can't express in words how much I care for you."

"Stay with me," he whispered and pulled me down for another kiss.

"Always."