Chapter 7

"Alright, boys. Behave, have fun, and call if you need anything. Got it?"

"We know, dad," I mumbled and glanced at Diego's mom to see if she was going to say anything.

I wasn't surprised when she only looked at Diego and shared some motherly advice to him and only him. It wasn't long until we got the text from Max saying that he was here. My father and Diego's mother followed us out, helping us with our bags and they also took the chance to say hello and goodbye to Hector and Max. Just as I was making my way to the back seat door, Diego jumped in and cuddled into his blanket. I didn't say anything, of course, and slowly climbed into the passenger seat yet again. We all waved at the adults as Max pulled out and began the drive.

"I'm taking a nap," Diego said and one glance back I could see him snuggle into his blanket more and Hector's eyes looked like he wanted to bring Diego against him but he kept his mouth shut and instead gave him a small smile.

I wasn't stupid, I knew Hector had a thing for Diego and if we're being honest, it's just a matter of time before Diego finds himself liking him back. Hector seemed content in just waiting for him and looked grateful that they were even close in the first place. He knew about patience, something I didn't have much with the guy I liked. Speaking of him, Max looked tense as he drove and he barely moved from his position. I, myself, wasn't doing the best at looking calm. My hands laid on my thighs but every so often I'd rub them on my jeans to release some tension.

"I just got a message from Charlie. Her and her friend are on their way as well. We'll get there around the same t-time," he stuttered at the end.

Max didn't think much of it but when I glanced back I saw that Diego was already asleep and leaning against Hector. I immediately looked away to not embarrass him but I couldn't help the few small glances as I saw him slowly wrap an arm around Diego's shoulder and close his eyes, slowly falling asleep himself. Great, now Max and I were the only ones awake. I saw Max's eyes look in the rear view mirror and I knew that he knew it as well.

We both practically jumped when my phone dinged and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It was no secret how much of a loner I became after everything and he probably thought I didn't text many people. Truth be told, his thinking was right. I didn't know who it was but I tried to hide my slight shock when I saw Victor's name pop up. I discretly swiped the message away to make it seem like it was nothing but a second later he sent another message making my phone ding again. Before I could put the phone on vibrate another message came in and this time I could see Max getting a little annoyed. To make matters worse, once I put the phone on vibrate, all you could hear was the vibration from incoming texts.

"Put it on silent!" Max snapped then glanced back to see if he woke up Hector and Diego but sighed in relief when they didn't even flinch.

"Okay, okay!" I said and put the phone in silent, placing it down on my lap after.

Just when we thought it was over, my phone kept lighting up with incoming calls and I was quick to try and hide the screen so Max wouldn't see who was calling. He glared at me and I turned off my phone completely, cursing when Max suddenly made a turn and pulled into a gas station. Diego and Hector gasped as they flew to the side and quickly tried to hold onto anything. Their eyes were wide but Max ignored it as he turned off the engine and unbuckled his seatbelt.

"I'm getting snacks," he grumbled and harshly closed the door when he got out.

Diego and Hector still looked like they were processing what just happened. I quickly unbuckled my seatbelt and got out the car, following after Max who I know was obviously pissed off. I walked into the gas station store and looked around, seeing Max stare blankly at the icy machine. I immediately knew what he was thinking of and it hurt me just as much.