Chapter 6

Caden's POV:

I calmly walked out of the school doors, wincing as the bright light from the sun shined right in my eyes. It was going to be hot this weekend but at least we were going to the lake. Damn, I still couldn't believe that I was going to the lake with Diego and Max. Max. I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling at the memory of our kiss today.

"Thinking of someone?"

I looked to the side to see Olivia Jenkins leaning against a car, some of her friends surrounding her. They all looked at me with a flirty smile and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes. Olivia was known for getting with guys and it's not us being rude by saying that because she's the one who flaunts it proudly. She was proud to have a big body count and it didn't seem like she was going to stop anytime soon. However, I didn't feel like being part of her long list of lovers.

"Sup, Liv."

She walked up to me, wearing a smirk as she said, "Am I the one that's on your mind?"

"Actually-"

"Caden!"

We both turned to see Max there with half an angry face and half a stunned face. It's like he couldn't believe it himself that he called me out. But he hid his shock and walked up to us, discreetly pushing me to the side away from Olivia and standing between us with his arms crossed.

"Stop annoying the poor girls and hurry up. Plans changed," he said and pushed me to get walking, almost making me trip.

Olivia opened her mouth with a small frown but Max was pushing me too much and we got lost in the crowd before she could say anything. He began to curse me out, calling me an idiot and any other names in the book. Old Caden would be pissed. But this Caden, he was loving the attention. I could tell that it was jealousy that overcame Max but I didn't dare say anything. He'd smack me if I teased him about it. Max pushed me all the way until we reached his car which was parked beside Charlie's and the whole gang was standing there talking.

"I found the idiot," Max grumbled and pretended to wipe off any germs from touching me. "He was busy with some girl."

"Did you tell him the plan?" Charlie asked.

"New plan?"

"We are going to try and leave today to spend as much time over there," Hector filled me in with a kind smile.

That was the thing about Hector, you couldn't hate him because of how nice he was. Plus, no one messed with him due to his fucking muscles. I bet that if he was angry enough he could knock someone out within seconds. I know I never would want to piss him off.

"We should get going if we want to set the plan into action. My friend is already on her way home to ask but it's most likely a yes. By the way, she's using the gay card too," Charlie said with a grin before getting into her car and putting the window down. "I'll text you guys in the group chat! See ya!"

"Alright, let's go. We still gotta convince my mother too," Max said with a groan and opening the car door, glancing at me after he saw me still awkwardly standing in my spot. "Get in the freakin' truck."

Diego chuckled and Hector opened the door for him, letting him get in the back seat first before he hopped in. I remember when Max came to the house depressed but excited at the same time. Everyone thought he'd take over his dad's old mustang car that he loved more than life itself. But his father surprised him with this truck and Max fell in love all over again. He took better care of this car than himself. I took a deep breath and moved to the passenger side, slowly opening the door and almost tripping as I tried to get inside. Max watched with an amused look but I avoided eye contact and got in, buckling up and looking out the window. And as Max backed up, I saw Victor standing by his car, staring in our direction. He looked and even took a step forward but Max drove out of the parking lot and into the main road before Victor could make another step. I could hear Hector and Diego talking about some books in the backseat but I stayed still in my seat, afraid to do anything that would piss off Max. But as I looked around the car, memories began to play in my head, each memory like a slap to the face.