Chapter 1: Birthday Surprise

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday sat cross-cross in the middle of his room, surrounded by candles, and holding the necklace his mother gave him while muttering under his breath.

"In case you're wondering, I don't hold séances very often. I can barely tolerate the living. Why would I want to commune with the dead?"

Wednesday continued to mutter with his eyes closed, and the candles around him started to flicker.

"But my mother told me that Gabriel is the only one that can train me to control my psychic ability. The sooner I master that, the sooner I can crack this case."

As Wednesday continued to mutter, the door to his dorm room flew open, and the wind from the force blew out all his candles.

Wednesday turned to the door expecting Gabriel, but instead, Enid scampered into his room. He turned away and let out an annoyed sigh.

"Sorry." Enid apologized. "I didn't mean to interrupt your...uh, do I even want to know?"

(Y/n) came in behind her and turned on the light. "Hey Wednesday. Sorry, did we interrupt something?"

"Yes." Wednesday told her, standing up. He came over and put his hands on her waist. "But I'll forgive you just this once." He said, kissing her.

(Y/n) giggled as he pulled away. "Thank you. What were you doing anyway?" She asked.

"I was reaching into the black maw of death to contact a relative." He explained.

"Feels very on brand for you." Enid said.

"Who were you contacting?"

"Gabriel Addams. He was one of the original outcasts. Been attempting to summon him, but he seems to be ignoring my entreaties." Wednesday replied in annoyance.

"Oh, have you thought about using one of my scented candles?" Enid chimed in. "The aroma of steak tartare is to die for."

Before Wednesday could answer, a piece of paper was slipped under his door, gaining everyone's attention.

Wednesday walked over to his door and picked it up, examining it.

"Maybe Gabriel answered you after all." (Y/n) suggested.

"I appreciate the encouragement my darling, but I don't think he communicates in magazine cutouts." Wednesday told her.

He looked down at the paper. 'If you want answers, meet inside Crackstone's Crypt. Midnight.'

...

Wednesday, (Y/n) and Enid walked through the dark woods, and approached the crypt, holding flashlights. (Y/n) gripped Wednesday's hand, and Enid walked behind them.

A branch snapped in the distance and Enid jumped and extending her claws, and (Y/n) shuffled closer to Wednesday, and squeezed his hand tighter.

"You two insisted on coming along." He reminded them. "I was fine on my own."

(Y/n) slightly narrowed her eyes at him. "Fine." She released his hand, and let it rest at her side.