Chapter 3: Family Therapy Session

——————————🕷️——————————

(Y/n), Wednesday and his family were standing in Principal Weems office and Morticia noticed her school yearbook on the desk and picked it up.

"Our old yearbook." She gasped. "I haven't laid eyes on this in 20 years. Such good times we had, didn't we Larissa?"

"Some of us better than others." Weems replied.

"Oh, don't be so modest. You always filled a room with your presence. Like a stately sequoia tree."

"And I guess that would make you the lumberjack."

Morticia laughed. "There's that biting sense of humor that I always adored. Do you remember when we did that duet for the Solstice Talent Show? Your Judy Garland impression was a dead ringer."

"Sounds positively suicidal." Wednesday muttered. (Y/n) grabbed his hand and squeezed it.

"Oh. My pictures gone." Morticia noticed.

"Really? Well that is odd." Weems said, pretending to look confused.

"May I borrow this for the weekend?" Morticia asked, turning to Gomez. "That way Gomez and I can take a little walk down memory lane."

"Rawr." Gomez purred playfully.

"Alright. Let's get down to the matter at hand, shall we? Hmm?" Weems interrupted."Unfortunately, Wednesday's assimilation has been rocky at best."

"Because I refuse to embrace the culture is dishonesty and denial permeating this school. Starting with the monster that killed Rowan and put Eugene in the ICU. Although I do hear he's on the mend." Wednesday sneered.

"We've always encouraged Wednesday to speak his mind. Sometimes his sharp tongue can cut deep." Gomez said.

"I can vouch for that." (Y/n) whispered teasingly in Wednesday's ear.

"Oh, I'm sure you can...kitten." Wednesday replied with a smirk, watching her face heat up.

"Apparently his therapist feels he hasn't been very open to the process. Their time together has not yielded the results we had hoped." Weems continued.

"I'm not a lab rat." Wednesday chimed in.

Weems ignored him. "Dr. Kinbott and I have spoken, and we both agree it would be most beneficial for you all to attend a family session this weekend."

"No." Wednesday replied firmly.

"I thought that might be your reaction but I'm certain your parents can see the wisdom in it." Weems smiled.

"Um, not to side with Wednesday, but, um, we're only here for the weekend." Morticia pointed out.

"Oh come on. What could it hurt? To be honest, I've always been a big fan of head-shrinking." Gomez exclaimed in excitement.

"It's not that kind of head-shrinking, non chéri." Morticia informed him.

Gomez's face fell. "Well...that is disappointing. But anything for our little boy."

...

Next thing he knew, Wednesday was sitting in Dr. Kinbott's office, with his family, surrounded by a heavy uncomfortable silence. Nobody spoke for a good while, and the only sounds that were heard was the ticking clock, and the sound of Pugsley eating from the bowl of food on the table.

Eventually, Dr. Kinbott broke the silence. "So, who wants to start?"

Nobody spoke.

"Maybe we can discuss what's it's like having Wednesday away from home?" She suggested.

Neither of the parents spoke, but Pugsley did. "I'm mean...for me...it's been hard not having Wednesday around. I never thought I'd miss being waterboarded so much."

Dr. Kinbott smiled awkwardly, and turned to the parents. "Morticia, Gomez, how have you been coping?"

"It's been torture for us too." Morticia admitted.

"Fortunately, my brother Fester's rack fits two people." Gomez added.

"Nothing like a good stretch to bring out the best on each other." Morticia agreed, as the two held hands.

"Querida mia." Gomez whispered, and placed multiple kisses on Morticia's hand.

"Enough!" Wednesday snapped.

He stood up and pulled out the police file. "I think it's high time my parents faced the music. It seems they've been lying to me. Keeping secrets. Murderous secrets that need to be addressed."

Wednesday held up a paper that had a photo of a young boy on it. "Who was Garrett Gates and why are you accused of murdering him?"

"Woah." Pugsley said in awe.

"Those charges were dropped. Your father is an innocent man." Morticia defended.

"Local sheriff doesn't seem too convinced." Wednesday pointed out.

Morticia and Gomez stood up.

"Wednesday, stop. This is neither the time nor the place." Morticia said firmly.

"Actually, this is exactly the place." Dr. Kinbott interrupted. "These sessions are—."

"Doctor. This does not concern you." Morticia snapped, and then turned to Wednesday. "And I refuse to debate a decades-old witch hunt with you right now."

Morticia turned to leave.

"Darling, maybe we should—."

"No. This session is over." She declared.

"Have it your way, mother. If you refuse to tell me the truth, I'll just have to excavate it myself." Wednesday announced, grabbing his stuff and storming out, Morticia following after him.

Pugsley turned to Dr. Kinbott and held the bowl of food towards her. "Thanks for the candy."

"Actually, that's potpourri." She corrected. "Why don't you take the bowl."

...

"What were you thinking?!" Morticia demanded as she followed Wednesday outside. "How could you ambush your father like that?" Wednesday!"

Wednesday finally turned to face her. "How could I? You insisted I got to this school. Did you really think I wouldn't find out your secret?"

"You don't know the full story. Your father did nothing wrong."

"I'll be the judge of that."

Morticia and Wednesday glared at each other, and turned away from each other, walking away.

Pugsley held up the bowl of potpourri to his father. "Potpourri?"

Gomez reluctantly took and piece and ate it. "Mm!" He exclaimed, and went to eat more.

——————————🕷️——————————